Catfish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Me and my girlfriend ran 50 limb lines last night on the Santa Fe River close to our home. Set them and baited before dark yesterday. Checked them this morning and had 37 catfish. Mostly channels in the 15-20" range. Nothing but cheap chicken hot dogs for bait. Rebaited this evening and checking them in the morning and taking them down. Potentially having to clean 50 or 60 catfish tomorrow is not sounding exciting. Having a once a week supply of catfish fillets for the next couple months is worth it.

Attachments

• 20240413_125643.jpg
    20240413_125643.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
This post brings back a lot of memories. I remember catfishing in Florida in Hollywood Park, using chicken liver for bait. It was me, my three boys & my brother in-law Joe, fishing off the dock there. It was such good fishing we filled a 100qt marine cooler with them. We took them back Joe's house. He put them in the bottom of his big refrigerator to chill them, told me it would be easier to skin them. We took them out the next day. We cut the skin around their head and hook their head on a big cup hook, that was screwed in a board and took pliers and pulled the skin off to the tail. Cleaned them, cut them into strips. We then dipped the strips into egg and seasoned bread Crums and deep fried them. Made French fries and a tossed salad. Yeah man delicious with a few cold beers! Nothing like it !

Went Tautog fishing yesterday on the Stray Cat fishing charter boat with my son, grandson and two good friends. Was slow fishing in the morning, all we were catching is shorts & no keepers (fish have to be at least 15 inches) but in the afternoon the wind started to pick up & got a little snotty. The fish then, for some reason, started chewing better & we started catching some nice fish. i managed to get 3 nice keepers & my son ended up with 2 and the rest no keepers. Took them home. I patted the filets dry & seasoned the with salt, granulated garlic, and lemon & pan seared them. We ate them with herb & garlic rice and bacon & balsamic vinegar string beans . Absolutely delicious .

Well another day stuck in the house because of the rainy weather. Just got called from the charter boat Captain, said because of the bad weather our Tautog trip is cancelled. Dam I've been wanting to go on this boat in Cape May for years & now I finally get a trip & it gets cancelled, just my luck. The reason why is because you always get a shot at the big fish. These are some pictures of the past Tautog in Cape May& you will see why I wanted to go so bad. These are pictures of me, my middle son & his friend.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG959824.JPG
    IMG959824.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG