CCI #11 caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestick

Reaction score
I have always used Remington caps but decided to try some CCI. I had several FTF episodes with them at the range and two hang fires. So I tired setting them off with out a load and 4 of 10 would not go off. Two of the 4 did go off upon a 2nd strike of the hammer. Anyone else have issues like that with CCI. The same loads and procedures and every shot was good with the Remingtons. I bought these caps at the same time. Seems they go through their Rem stock much faster than the CCI. Still being in a sealed factory package they should have been good for a long time. Maybe CCI had a bad batch?

Sounds like the caps don't fit the nipple properly.

Yesterday i sighted in my peep sight equipped .54 caliber TC New Englander. The gun has the short TC nipple. Had a couple misfires using Remington caps. The Remington caps are longer than CCI caps. The flange of the cap was striking the base of the taper. Switched to CCI caps and no problem.

While cleaning the rifle today it will get a new TC long nipple.

The Remington caps are slightly longer and slightly wider. Just enough that they may seat all the way down on a nipple that a CCI cap wont go all the way down onto. I have some nipples that I only use with CCI.  Those were spun in the lathe and reduced slightly with sandpaper until the CCI cap went all the way down.  Regardless of brand of nipple or cap if there is room between the compound and the nipple the hammer will push the cap down and expand it without necessarily detonating it. Match the nipple to the cap for proper fit and they will all go off and be more efficient.

I only use CCI caps and it is rare to get a F2F from them in my experience.  I agree that it sounds like they don't match the type of nipple you're using as well as the Rem's do.
I've always just used TC replacement nipples from TOW, but recently put on a Treso nipple due to Idaholewis talking up how durable they are.  I've found that the CCI's definitely fit a little tighter on the Treso, I have to give a bit more attention to getting them on square and firmly seating them.

Years ago Remington caps had a metal liner on the inside instead of paper. Pieces of the liner would clog the nipple on the 3rd or 4th shot, causing a hangfire/misfire.
No problems with the later design.

-Joe

Must be the nipple as the CCI do fit much tighter than the Remington caps. It is the original nipple that came with the gun back in 1981. Basically brand new as my friend had told me before he died he had only shot it once.

I was just looking through the post and read about the issue you had with the CCI caps and yes I had trouble with a tin of them now mind you it has probably been 8 to 10 years ago. The whole tin of them were bad not any would go off. I called the company they said they had not had any more complaints but ask me for the date an lot # an ask me if they smelled like gas when I opened the tin, an they did. That made me believe they had some complaints with that lot. They wanted me to send them back to them an then they would reimburse me for shipping. For a four dollar tin of caps I didn't thank it was worth the trouble so I eat the cost. So don't automatically think it's the nipple. Did you find out was it the nipple or the caps?

I gave up using 11 caps a few years ago. My choice now is a Spitfire musket nipple and RSW musket caps. I perfect fit. Nice and tight but I can still pull them off by hand. No capper needed either. I just put some loose in my hunting vest pocket.

I know <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> caps are reliable if the breech channel and nipple are clean and dry. However, the musket cap always fires the charge when things aren't perfect. It's just a little added reliability.

falcon said:
Sounds like the caps don't fit the nipple properly.  

Yesterday i sighted in my peep sight equipped .54 caliber  TC New Englander.   The gun has the short TC nipple.   Had a couple misfires using Remington caps.   The Remington caps are longer than CCI caps.   The flange of the cap was striking  the base of the taper.   Switched to CCI caps and no problem.  

While cleaning the rifle today it will get a new TC long nipple.    
I had the same "fit" problem with the <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> CCI. First strike would fail to fire, but it would seat the cap properly. Second strike worked every time.
The next time out I brought a wood dowel. I would use the dowel stick to shove the caps on the nipple as far as they would go. Worked every time.
Ron

You can do the same thing with the hammer Ron. Let it down easy on the cap and push on it.

That's a good thought, Pete. I am a bit concerned about lowering a hammer onto a capped and loaded rifle. I suppose it is just as risky to push a cap with a wood dowel.
Ron

That's why we have thumbs. To hold the hammer.

The real answer is you shouldn't need to do it at all if you have the proper cap to nipple fit. Nipples and caps are all different sizes. You have to experiment to find the right combination. I gave one in my above post. There are many others. If you have a fail to fire on the first strike but fires on the second strike. That's a poor cp to nipple fit.

Just one other thought. I grew up with all the Jap stuff floating around. I learned about weak hammer springs from them. Not all were , but it only takes one.

OldMtnMan said:
That's why we have thumbs. To hold the hammer.

The real answer is you shouldn't need to do it at all if you have the proper cap to nipple fit. Nipples and caps are all different sizes. You have to experiment to find the right combination. I gave one in my above post. There are many others. If you have a fail to fire on the first strike but fires on the second strike. That's a poor cp to nipple fit.
You are absolutely correct, Pete.

I've had the fit issue with only one or two rifles. All the rest will take the Remington and the CCI in 11 and 10 without trouble.
That suggests that nipples come in all sizes.

I've used Remingtons for the past 10 years.  Occasionally, I'll find a center or two in the tin with nothing in the cap.  I've tried CCI, both standard and Magnum with the same problems you've mention.  I went back and bought more Remingtons.

Back