Chef's Choice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I'm not worth 2¢ at perfecting the art of knife sharpening. My dad (R.I.P.) was a master at sharpening knives. I never caught on......

It was at least 20yrs ago, if not a couple more that I bought my very first Chef's Choice electric knife sharpener. I can't count the number of knives that its sharpened over all these years, more than sharp enough for just about anyone.
It finally gave up the ghost the other day :( IIRC the old one was the model 120, so I just ordered another but this time the 130 model.
If it sharpens as good as the old one and lasts as long, I'll be a happy camper.

I've had one of the same model for a long time but it has started to deal me fits so I picked up a standard model worksharp and love it. The only thing I see that may be an issue for some people is that it can remove a lot of metal in aa short time so one needs to be mindful of the directions it comes with and use them to a T.

The Workshop is excellent but one must also be careful using it or it is very easy to remove the point.

I thought about the Workshop but, I had such good luck with the Chef's Choice I just remained with it. Once a "good knife" is sharpened, they remain sharp for a long time if used properly.

I have the same model 120 Chefs Choice and Love it. Had it for many years now and if it gave up on me I would order the same one in a heart beat. It has sharpened a crazy number of knives too. My Mom and Dad bought one of the Lower models that has stones the move back and forth and it does not compare to the Spinning Diamond hones in the 120. When I go back home to Ohio and my brother sees I have it with me he brings over every knife in his kitchen for me to sharpen. :rolleyes: :D

I have the same model 120 Chefs Choice and Love it. Had it for many years now and if it gave up on me I would order the same one in a heart beat. It has sharpened a crazy number of knives too. My Mom and Dad bought one of the Lower models that has stones the move back and forth and it does not compare to the Spinning Diamond hones in the 120. When I go back home to Ohio and my brother sees I have it with me he brings over every knife in his kitchen for me to sharpen. :rolleyes: :D
I took mine when went to visit the younger sister and BIL. Sister had been using her knives like saws they were so dull. I sharpened every knife they had.
A few days after we get home, I get a call. Sister was telling me about all the band aids she sported LOL

Sister was telling me about all the band aids she sported LOL

When I do anything with the knives we use in the kitchen I tell Ma that I touched them up so she can be a little more careful. She gets accustomed to the knives getting a bit less than sharp, then I come alone and touch them up and its not a good scene. I did my two deer and cubed up 13 11+ pound pork butts this year with SHARP knives while doing my sausage and had zero cuts for a change. lol Huge difference when the knives slide thru the meat.

I took mine when went to visit the younger sister and BIL. Sister had been using her knives like saws they were so dull. I sharpened every knife they had.
A few days after we get home, I get a call. Sister was telling me about all the band aids she sported LOL
Yup! I too sharpened some of my moms knives and my Aunt, her sister, was there. She grabbed one of the paring knives and promptly sliced a good gash into her thumb. She looked at me and asked why I made them so sharp? I said they are supposed to be "Sharp" knives not "Dull" knives. ;) She put it down and would not pick one up after that. I myself can't stand a dull Kitchen, hunting or butchering knife.:lewis:

I have a couple Uncle Henry filet knives from the 70's that are razor sharp that NOBODY touches. My favorite Buck knife for hunting is also razor sharp.
I like the Chef's Choice sharpeners. This new 130 model is slightly different, but nothing beats a sharp knife.

I use the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition one and it works very well. I have noticed that the belts wear out kinda fast. I have a leather stropping belt for the last step. It makes them SHARP, VERY SHARP. But I also use a standard wet stone for just touching them up in between full sharpenings. The key to a sharp knife is sharpen one side until you get a "wire edge" then work the other side down until it is even with the first side. After that, just keeping a consistent angle is key

I have never heard of that Particular Sharpener? I have a Worksharp Ken Onion edition, and a KME, (I prefer the KME) After sharpening i use a Kangaroo Strop with 4 micron CBN emulsion applied to it, I can get a Knife “SPOOKY Sharp” with this KME System :lewis:

I have never heard of that Particular Sharpener? I have a Worksharp Ken Onion edition, and a KME, (I prefer the KME) After sharpening i use a Kangaroo Strop with 4 micron CBN emulsion applied to it, I can get a Knife “SPOOKY Sharp” with this KME System :lewis:
May have to look into getting a KME or something like it. I had a Lansky kit before my worksharp Ken Onion and I wasnt impressed with it but the KME looks to have a much better fit and finish than that crappy Lansky kit

May have to look into getting a KME or something like it. I had a Lansky kit before my worksharp Ken Onion and I wasnt impressed with it but the KME looks to have a much better fit and finish than that crappy Lansky kit

I love my Ken onion edition Worksharp, Especially so with my Longer Fillet type Knives, I don’t use the attachment, I “Free Hand” With it

The KME is of the Same principle as the Lansky, But can’t be compared in Quality. For my Lock Back Hunting Style knives i much prefer my KME, I can get them to a Different Level of SHARP, They cut when they “Touch” i truly meant “SPOOKY Sharp”

I have a couple Uncle Henry filet knives from the 70's that are razor sharp that NOBODY touches. My favorite Buck knife for hunting is also razor sharp.
I like the Chef's Choice sharpeners. This new 130 model is slightly different, but nothing beats a sharp knife.
Those fillet knives are sharpened on the Chefs Choice? Also, will it sharpen the whole blade on a pocket knife? I think my buck mini trapper pocket knife has a 2” blade and I’ve always been curious about whether the chefs choice would sharpen some thing that small.

Those fillet knives are sharpened on the Chefs Choice? Also, will it sharpen the whole blade on a pocket knife? I think my buck mini trapper pocket knife has a 2” blade and I’ve always been curious about whether the chefs choice would sharpen some thing that small.
Yes and yes.
The filet knives may get sharpened once a year if that. Stropping is all that's needed after sharpening and the Chef's Choice does that ;)

I sharpen all my knives with a Diamond Whetstone (given to me) and a ceramic stick ($1.99) works great for me.

Yes and yes.
The filet knives may get sharpened once a year if that. Stropping is all that's needed after sharpening and the Chef's Choice does that ;)
One more question. I've ready that motorized sharpeners like CC will leave scratches on blades. What's your experience with this?

Back