Choosing a Replacement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good rifle that will meet your needs and not break your wallet is the CVA Optima V2. I have an Accura V2, Knight Moutaineer a couple Encores and a couple Rem 700MLs. The CVA will run right with the more expensive ones.

There's a nice T/C Firehawk in the classifieds. Simple as can be, accurate, reliable, legal everywhere, light and well balanced. Maintenance is a breeze.
Parts are available even if T/C is not.
I have one and would not part with it for ANY consideration.
Shoot Holy Black, T7 or Pyrodex. BH209 is a no no. Not much of a loss there.

I know that there have been countless discussions on good muzzleloaders. I am looking at retiring my traditions pursuit lt next year and want to begin the process of where to go next. Not looking at anything smokeless or that has a range over 1000 yds. Longest possible shot is close to 100, with most being around 50 to 70 yds. Will be using it to hunt whitetail deer in VA for 2 hard weeks out of a ladder stand. Looking for something that is accurate, dependable, groups well, will be able to last, good customer service, and is not a pain to maintain. I will be putting a scope on it, but for now just the gun. Unless I come across a good deal.

Thanks for all the advise as I know that everyone here has experience that is not found on websites or in the stores.

I went the CVA Optima V2 50 route. It served me well. It shot very good. I killed deer with it.
Sooooo......
I'm gonna go the total opposite direction as everyone else. Pay alittle bit more now and have a gun that will be very versatile.
I suggest you think about a CVA Scout 45-70 conversion. You can pick your own breech plug. 209, direct ignition or modules. You will have more options as for as powder. I know you said not interested in smokeless but you would have that possibility, if you changed your mind later, and you can shoot BH209 or any sub. I think it would meet your requirements. I think the 45-70 conversions are the best and most versatile muzzleloader going right now.

I know that there have been countless discussions on good muzzleloaders. I am looking at retiring my traditions pursuit lt next year and want to begin the process of where to go next. Not looking at anything smokeless or that has a range over 1000 yds. Longest possible shot is close to 100, with most being around 50 to 70 yds. Will be using it to hunt whitetail deer in VA for 2 hard weeks out of a ladder stand. Looking for something that is accurate, dependable, groups well, will be able to last, good customer service, and is not a pain to maintain. I will be putting a scope on it, but for now just the gun. Unless I come across a good deal.

Thanks for all the advise as I know that everyone here has experience that is not found on websites or in the stores.
No one has bid on this New Old Stock in @ the 4 times it has been placed up for bidding.

Odds are that with 77gr (weighed) of BH209, Barnes 50cal T-EZ 290gr FB Sabot and CCI's 209M primers, you'll be sub-MOA even at 150 yards. If'n you snag it, I will send you a 100 count slab of CCI 209M primers, pronto. I have over 1.5K primers for BP. I have over 42K for precision long distance centerfire. My shelves won't notice, sir. Take that, you brute.

EDIT: That CVA Scout 45-70 conversion advice from LBAhunter... It ain't wrong by a country mile. Makes me think of snagging one and telling the wife, "Honey, I bought that a long, long time ago." Then never forget to take the trash out for 3 months.

Last edited:
I’ve been in the same boat looking for an inline. From everything I’ve read on this site, traditions is pretty well left off the board entirely. Are they just simply lower quality than any cva production rifle?

No one has bid on this New Old Stock in @ the 4 times it has been placed up for bidding.

Odds are that with 77gr (weighed) of BH209, Barnes 50cal T-EZ 290gr FB Sabot and CCI's 209M primers, you'll be sub-MOA even at 150 yards. If'n you snag it, I will send you a 100 count slab of CCI 209M primers, pronto. I have over 1.5K primers for BP. I have over 42K for precision long distance centerfire. My shelves won't notice, sir. Take that, you brute.

EDIT: That CVA Scout 45-70 conversion advice from LBAhunter... It ain't wrong by a country mile. Makes me think of snagging one and telling the wife, "Honey, I bought that a long, long time ago." Then never forget to take the trash out for 3 months.
Get one. You won't regret it. This is after I upgraded base, rings, and scope. Talley base, Warne low rings, and Sightron 3-16x42
20230329_162610.jpg

Looks like the post is 6 months old but my 2 cents worth are for a CVA Accura 50 cal. After 84 trips around the sun I have had excellent results with a V2 for white tail. My rifle is equipped with a Nikon muzzleloader scope and shoots the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ in front of 2 pellets of T7. Good Luck.

7jygJt4h.jpg

Looks like the post is 6 months old but my 2 cents worth are for a CVA Accura 50 cal. After 84 trips around the sun I have had excellent results with a V2 for white tail. My rifle is equipped with a Nikon muzzleloader scope and shoots the Barnes 250 gr T-EZ in front of 2 pellets of T7. Good Luck.

7jygJt4h.jpg
Semper Gumby [That's Always Flexible for those in Rio Linda. You never knew what the Lt. was gunna say that the Order of the Day was going to be...]
1/8 STA There can be only one.

Latest posts

Back