Chopping Disc Extreme .52 barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in awhile. I bought my 54-120 based on "his" review. It seems he also liked the idea of a 52cal brush gun.

Not everyone is into "shooting long range". The buck in the above right photo was taken at only about 18 yards with a custom .54 Green Mountain "Limited Edition" rifle dubbed the "Brush Rifle". This is, without a doubt, the finest and fastest handling muzzleloader I have ever packed and hunted with. Loading with a 120-grain charge of Blackhorn 209, the 20-inch barrel gets a saboted Harvester Muzzleloading 400-grain "Hard Cast" flat-nosed lead bullet out of the muzzle at 1,803 f.p.s. - with 2,880 f.p.e. This is one hard hitting close range big game rifle. I think a similar model in .52 caliber, with a 20 or 22 inch barrel would be ideal for those shots at game under 100 yards...and much closer when you have to go into the heavy cover after them!

stuffed with 120-grains of Blackhorn 209 behind the 330-grain .451" Harvester "Hard Cast" can get the bullet out of the 19 1/2" "working bore" at 1,867 f.p.s. (with 2,554 f.p.e.). With just a 110-grain charge of Blachhorn 209, the bullet gets out of the short barrel at 1,829 f.p.s. (2,448 f.p.e.

These loads are not for the faint of heart. They will rock you. Bullets around 300-325gr and about 110gr of BH209 are a little more tolerable. The Speer 50-325gr is about perfect in mine. That is why i was thinking about the 475 325gr and the faster twist in the 52cal. I think there is a good chance they would work well together.

I understand why a person does not need a long barrel to shoot short range(100 or less) Why does a person need to shoot such heavey bullets less than 100 yards ? I am being sincere asking this question. I dont believe ever shooting through brush. But that is just me.

Why does it hurt to shoot a heavy bullet, not shooting thru brush but do like heavy bullets. That's why I shoot 330-460 gr conicals in my Whites instead of sabots, just personal preference..
I have probably killed more deer with the 240 gr XTP then anything so I've used both.

Chop away!I have one rifle that is chopped down to a 16 inch barrel and I have another that I turned into a hand cannon with a 13 inch barrel.

Ive got one with a 12.5 in barrel, its my Black Diamond pistol that I put back in a rifle stock its a accurate little sucker and very easy to carry around.. Hope to kill a deer with it this coming opening of muzzleloader season.

junkman said:
Chop away!I have one rifle that is chopped down to a 16 inch barrel and I have another that I turned into a hand cannon with a 13 inch barrel.

Latest posts

Back