christmas presents to me.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
christmas presents to me.

got a high end steam quick cooker and a good mini blender. im the main cook around this house and plan to use both real soon. been checking out pork ribs how to make them in my new cooker on the internet. anybody want to give me how they do ribs, love pork ribs when they are done right. one of the ways is marinate them in beer and seasonings one day. then brown them in olive oil and then steam cook them in my new cooker with the beer marinate for the steam. sounds good to me. i will accept all the ways you cook ribs and marinate them before hand. love the ribs. went to applebees the night before my surgery and had pork baby back ribs and garlic mashed potatoes and grilled garlic green beans. for a chain food place it was realy realy good. licked the platter clean. i couldnt have water or food after that for the surgery. by the time i had surgery at 4 pm the next day i was dehyderated and they had a hard time starting the iv preop.still no pain at all. road my exercise bike a hour and 1/2 today and it felt good. still swollen up like a angus bull down their and totally black and blue. but no pain. when i walk i sure know i have a pair down their. my wife is laughing at me all the time. she thinks it is funny. with the no pain it is. should take a picture, closest ill ever get to being a real stud. going to keep riding my indoor bike until i can go back to the gym and do a real work out. DONT LIVE WITH A HERNIA, GET IT TAKEN CARE OF. IT IS NOTHING COMPARED TO OTHER SURGERIES. YOU WILL FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON.  a very young lady in our church got a hernia from giving birth to her last child. she went in two hours before i did for surgery. she said she is doing well also with out pain. I FEEL LIKE A NEW MAN. GOD BLESS EVERY ONE TODAY.

Re: christmas presents to me.

Merry Christmas! It sounds you came out ahead today! Nothing better than things you can put to use and enjoy.

Jonathan got himself a six-pack of toilet paper (just in case the corn cobs or patch material runs out).  :lol!:  
  :Need photo:​

when i was young on the ranch all we had was catalogs in the out house. cant remember when we started using store bought toilet paper. probably when we moved to town.

strong eagle said:
when i was young on the ranch all we had was catalogs in the out house. cant remember when we started using store bought toilet paper. probably when we moved to town.
Wards and Penney's were the best (no slide paper), Sears had the slick paper (had to be careful with that stuff, it could get away from you).  As a kid at this time of the year my grandparents had already got our gifts, so the Christmas catalogs were out in the toilet. We had a two holer so my cousin and myself would sit and look at the toy section (problem - on a cold morning the board you sat on was frozen, your warm bottom would soon defrost the board and then it would refreeze with your skin attached). Not a pretty sight for young boys... :lol!:

we would take a sheet of catalog paper and keep rolling it in our hands and working it until it become soft. they say no job is done until the paperwork is done. thats the way it was in those days. the thing i miss the most is home made sour cream, it was so good. our well was our fridge. we kept things we wanted to keep cool in a bucket and we lowered it into the well as it was always cool in the well. when we butchered critters in the fall, we just packaged the meat, wrote on it what it was and put in big box in the entry way of the house. it was always below zero in that room. because they shocked corn in those years the yard was full of shocked corn. their was always a 100 rooster pheasants in the yard eating off of those shocks. we ate a lot of pheasant, just shoot them in the head with the old 22 and it was pheasant for supper.

I kind of miss the old outhouse days, in cold weather it was an eye opener ....  :shock:    :(     :slaps:

my children have no idea what it was like to live in those days. on the farm we closed off the house so only the down stairs kitchen, and it was a large one , was heated by the cook stove. we left the stairs door open so the up stairs was heated by rising heat. we slept up stairs with the room doors open so they were warm enough. my cousins were only a mile and 1/2 from us. when i slep with them over night their was no heat up stairs. it was below 32 degress up their. water in a basin would be froze. we had piles of quilts, nobody complained and it was warm under the quilts. when you got up in the morning, you got up quick and dressed quick and went down stairs to be near the stove. we never minded it.i would hunt the big fat white jack rabbits at 20 below zero for the .75 cents i would get for each one of them. that was good money in those days. my method was walk the snow covered plowed fields where they were hunkered down and when they jumped up to run i would lay down flat one the ground. they would run 100 yards and stop to look for me. they couldnt see me as i was flat on the snow. and while they were looking for me i nailed them with one shot. .75 cent, that allowed me to buy another box of .22 long rifle shells. i always bought federals as they were .75 cents a box and all the other ones were a nickel more. my rifle was a 1920/s remington .22 single shot. i was tough when i went to the military and didnt know it. never could figure out why any one missed a target or couldnt take the physical part of it. they just were not raised like me. those new york city guys were the worst. they couldnt hit a bull in the ass standing next to it with a bass fiddle. the only guys who were like me was the guys from upper maine. they were raised like me and tough as could be. they all were mostly french indians as i am also. we were raised miles apart but were alot alike. i also like the blacks from chicago. they like me and i liked them. never saw a black man before i went in the service so had no baggage about them. they saw that in me. they called me the gorilla as they never saw a hairy french man before. we laughed alot about that. one of my highlight i got to try out a thompson 45. it was a heavy gun but i really like the bar. i never realized then it had two speeds. we shot it on the slow speed. loved those old s and w 38 specials, they were very accurate. ok, the old man rambled again but maybe i brought back memories for some of you also. walking perfectly in a snow covered field with out watching your feet is about as hard as learning to ride a bicycle. once you learn it you never forget it. when i got back from the service i bought a high standard supermatic throphy (sp) and went out that winter and shot several white fat bunnies. they still were paying .75 cent each. more than paid for my shells with that day. that high standard could hit them out top 100 yards with ease. wish i still had it.

Same experiences when at my family farm near Penn State PA, probably one of the coldest spots in the state.

strong eagle said:
we were tough then but as for me, not so much now.
I agree.  If we had to use an outside can in this weather, there would be a bunch of washing of clothes, floors, carpets or chairs ...... Plus not only having to get cleaned up then recovering from the butt burning the wife will provide..... Not a pretty thought.   :monkey:   :affraid:  :pale:

Sounds like you made out like a bandit Roger, I have been thinking about getting an air fryer, all my friends who have on love it1

this one is a steamer but i would like a air fryer also. makes real good rice. will have to rice and beans with it. nice to hear from you sam.

Back