Chronographing BP Guns?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlV

Reaction score
I've got a chrono and would like to start chronographing my BP rifle, but I'm a little worried about a sabot or unburned powder damaging the chrono

Also, how far out in front of the muzzle do you have to place the chrono to get accurate readings because of the smoke cloud when you shoot?

Thanks

Carl
Here's an old post that will give you some answers. I asked the same question some time back. I ended up building one like DW's. It works like a charm. Different people will set their chrono's at different distances. I set mine at 12' with good results.
Good luck, Zen

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... protecters

I put mine at 15'. You definitely want a shield of some sort. I made one with 1/4" plexiglass after my chrono took a sabot to the face which shattered the LCD screen ($40 repair job).

Thanks for all the info.

One more question if you guys don't mind?

I don't see any cutouts for the sensors. You just let them take their reading on the bullets passing overhead through the plexiglass/lexan?

Thanks, Carl

Depends on type of chrono but if it has a screen that is visible from the shooting position you will need a shield of some sort. I set my lowest level Chrony up at about 10 feet and the powder burned through the screen resulting in repair necessary to replace the screen.

MLKeith said:
Depends on type of chrono but if it has a screen that is visible from the shooting position you will need a shield of some sort. I set my lowest level Chrony up at about 10 feet and the powder burned through the screen resulting in repair necessary to replace the screen.

From what I'm gathering you had happen exactly what I was worried about.

The link that Panhandle posted above shows an old thread from here where there are two pictures of simple home made plexiglass/lexan shields that look really easy to make and will protect a chrono from that type of damage.

Does anyone know what was used as a heat souce for bending the lexan?

ShawnT

I put mine at 12', and set up for the bullet to pass high through the arch! Have never had any problem with this setup. If shooting through chrony at a farther distance, then I would worry about the sabot impacting it!

Back