Cleaning after BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogunr

Reaction score
Took my Omega out today and tried out the Blackhorn - I Like! What is the suggested cleaning process? Is there any special way to clean and treat the breech plug? I've always thought that oil didn't play well with primers, Thanks all!

I use 90+% alcohol it seems to me that it cleans better and easier than any thing else I have tried, when I clean the breach plug I first take a 1/8 drill and clean the carbon from below where the 209 sits then give it an alcohol. bath wipe it up real good with a rag and run a squared off hat pin the same diameter as the touch hole through it grease it and replace it. I oil every thing but the inside of the barrel with synthetic oil and do the inside of the barrel with Barricade or Sheath. This has been working well for me. Lee

Hoppes on the bore, brake cleaner on the plug/209 carbon. Make sure you oil with a good oil like Eezox or Break Free or another gun oil after cleaning.

Back