cleaning jags

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter56

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of posts that describe running a spit patch down the barrel followed by a dry patch. Many other descriptions of cleaning with patches. I can't believe that you guys pop the breech plug every time you run a patch through so I'm guessing that you use a slotted jag. Is this correct?

I know I dont take the bp out. I use a cleaning jag and ml cleaning patch. The friction keeps the patch on the jag, it does not come off, so no need for a slotted jag. Just be sure and make small advances getting bigger ( longer) each time until you reach the breech plug and pull it back out. I have on occasion had the bore suck the patch into the bore when trying to remove it but then I use a patch worm to retrieve it.

Hunter56,
I think Swampman ment to show you a cleaning jag that looks similar to this one.
TCA9243.jpg

They come in different lengths and designs but they are made to hold a patch tight aginst the bore...some are also contoured on the tip to load various pointed bullets without changings tips.

If by chance you get a patch left behind in your barrel just use a patch worm to grab it out.
TRADA1256.jpg

No need to remove your breech plug unless you really want too.

I remove the breech plug out of my triumph due to habit of cleaning my rifles from the breech.

I also don't like the idea of bringing that dirty black patch back up through the bore...

I remove the breech plug out of my triumph due to habit of cleaning my rifles from the breech.

I also don't like the idea of bringing that dirty black patch back up through the bore...

Totally unnecessary and a waste of time and effort vanfossen. The vast majority of shooters swab from the muzzle between shots with no ill effects. I have several MLs with over 1,000 rounds through them. I always swab between shots except sometimes when plinking with patched balls, and have never had a problem.

I see no reason to remove the breechplug at all other than the fact that it would eventually freeze up. I swab from the muzzle. The jags at the link I posted are similar to the one in the picture except there are 3 or 4 grooves instead of knurling. The knurled jags work fine too.

Swampman said:
I see no reason to remove the breechplug at all other than the fact that it would eventually freeze up. I swab from the muzzle. The jags at the link I posted are similar to the one in the picture except there are 3 or 4 grooves instead of knurling. The knurled jags work fine too.

i don't remove the BP either ..i also swab from the muzzle .with a knurled SPINNING JAG ...

I don't remove the BP until I'm done firing and I'm cleaning the weapon. I have a range rod that has a barbed jag attached that I use primarily for cleaning. But you can also use jags like the SpinJag that are knurled to run patches. The barbs or the knurling will hold the patch on the jag.

I don't remove the BP until it's time for a complete clean up.
I use a knurled jag but I have a USA Universal Spin Adapter that stays on my range rod so every jag spins.

It's from chief's pro clean.
www.chiefsproclean.com
Just e mail them and ask about it,I dont see it listed on the site,tell them I sent you.

With shooting BH209 I don't have to swab much and the ease of removing the breech plug of the Triumph it's extremely easy to swab from the breech end...

to each his own

Thanks for all the advise. I guess I just couldnt see how a patch would stick to the jag when pulling it back up. I think I will get a worm for when it doesn't.

A worm jag is essential to everybody's arsenal. It'll save ya alot of headaches if yer patch DOES come off. 8)

T/C makes a little kit with everything you need. It has the worm, but with an inline it's not really an issue.

Swampman said:
T/C makes a little kit with everything you need. It has the worm, but with an inline it's not really an issue.

It is if you don't wanna pull the breechplug. It's your World, tho.... 8)

I agree, it's next to impossible to leave a patch in your barrel...I still have a worm in my box and it's seen some use over the years. :roll:

Back