Removing loaded powder and bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkivory

Reaction score
Yesterday my son and I went to range to shoot, getting ready for September Colorado elk. Shot both Omega and Accura V2. Loaded 66.5 gr. BH209 and pushed 350 gr Borlock into Omega. When pulled ramrod out, lead bullet came with it, separated from base. Stuck in Jag. Pulled breech plug and pushed load out through breech plug end. Lots of powder stuck to grease on breech plug threads. Cleaned it and then shot OK for a couple of rounds. Then another bullet came out with Jag. This time we shoved it back down barrel and seemed to reseat, so shot it. The Jag was leaving an imprint on the lead where it was sticking to Borlock. First question, when we pushed load out, should we have pushed from breech plug end out end of barrel, to avoid powder sticking to grease? Second question, seems like Jag was making contact in right place, so we weren't pushing on plastic tip. Why was bullet separating from base so easy?

Yesterday my son and I went to range to shoot, getting ready for September Colorado elk. Shot both Omega and Accura V2. Loaded 66.5 gr. BH209 and pushed 350 gr Borlock into Omega. When pulled ramrod out, lead bullet came with it, separated from base. Stuck in Jag. Pulled breech plug and pushed load out through breech plug end. Lots of powder stuck to grease on breech plug threads. Cleaned it and then shot OK for a couple of rounds. Then another bullet came out with Jag. This time we shoved it back down barrel and seemed to reseat, so shot it. The Jag was leaving an imprint on the lead where it was sticking to Borlock. First question, when we pushed load out, should we have pushed from breech plug end out end of barrel, to avoid powder sticking to grease? Second question, seems like Jag was making contact in right place, so we weren't pushing on plastic tip. Why was bullet separating from base so easy?
You might have the wrong jag for those bullets, or you may be putting entirely too much downforce on your bullet when seating it.
The grease issue - I did anti seize for yrs ( I've been an Omega owner & lover since they were first released ) then I switched to Marine bearing grease for a long time. Now I use 1 slightly overlapping wrap of Teflon tape on my BP's, except for my QRBP in my Accura bc I can't unscrew it by hand with the tape. So, I went back to a very tiny smear of marine grease on it. Yes, it does create a little more of a PITA when you have to push a load out of the breech end, but its really not that big of a deal.

Yep, sounds like you need a different jag. Obvously, it shouldn’t be sticking in the jag like that. On the 350s I have it takes quite a bit of force to pull the bullet from the base so it must be really sticking.

The Barnes Aligner jags and SpinJag .50 jags work well with those bullets.

As for removing a load. You could do it either way, as @Ninering62 says, using Teflon tape will make it a lot less messy if pushing out the breech. The other option is to not remove the plug and just pull the base out the muzzle with a bullet puller. Then dump the powder. Great item to keep in your field kit.

DD46343D-3332-4B58-9855-07894D565DA8.jpeg

Yep, sounds like you need a different jag. Obvously, it shouldn’t be sticking in the jag like that. On the 350s I have it takes quite a bit of force to pull the bullet from the base so it must be really sticking.

The Barnes Aligner jags and SpinJag .50 jags work well with those bullets.

As for removing a load. You could do it either way, as @Ninering62 says, using Teflon tape will make it a lot less messy if pushing out the breech. The other option is to not remove the plug and just pull the base out the muzzle with a bullet puller. Then dump the powder. Great item to keep in your field kit.

View attachment 36603
None of those items above will grab the bullet. The screw tip will slip off the polymer tip and scratch the bore. And I don't believe it the alignment ring would catch the sleeve. You have an Accura and Omega which have a removable BP so you can just remove it and push the bullet out. As for the bullet coming out with the jag, it has happened to me too. Actually the bullet comes out of the "rubber" sleeve fairly easily. Federal said when you seat the bullet, give the rod a twist to loosen it off the bullet (also don't push down too hard when seating the bullet).

None of those items above will grab the bullet. The screw tip will slip off the polymer tip and scratch the bore. And I don't believe it the alignment ring would catch the sleeve. You have an Accura and Omega which have a removable BP so you can just remove it and push the bullet out. As for the bullet coming out with the jag, it has happened to me too. Actually the bullet comes out of the "rubber" sleeve fairly easily. Federal said when you seat the bullet, give the rod a twist to loosen it off the bullet (also don't push down too hard when seating the bullet).
Thanks. I quit pushing so hard with ramrod and now give a slight twist. No more problem. I killed a nice bull with Borelock on my September Colorado muzzy hunt. I would buy more if I could find them.

Back