Cleaning patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
We all use alot of these and Ive never seen this discussed in a topic before so here goes. What brand of Cleaning Patches do you all prefer? Ive been using some Cabelas brand I have and prefer them to the CVA patches I have because they are thicker.

Do any of you have a better source or homebrewed patch you could share?

I buy bulk cleaning patches from Wal Mart. I also cut up all my old cotton sock. I do not buy the expensive patches..

I cut my own from 100% cotton flannel. 2? squares of solid white material for 50 cal, 2 1/2" for 12 ga. I cut them with a ?pinking? tool that prevents the edges from raveling. Better than anything you can buy.

The cheapest ones I can get! :lol:

I usually like patches a little smaller than most do. The only part of the patch that cleans is the part that is between the jag and barrel so it really doesn't HAVE to be as big as most. In fact, the bigger the patch the more likely your cleaning rod will get stuck on some crud. Here is the patch I use most:

Cabelas round patch

I get the .44-.58 cal which is really nothing more than a 2 inch round patch. Qty is 200.

I too make my own. Cleaning patches, no matter how cheap in the store, are expensive. A couple of yards of cotton flannel is cheap and you can make a lot of patches. My wife has a cutting board, a wheel cutter she used when she sews. A good straight edge and I'm off. Make different sizes for cleaning all my guns.

MQ32shooter said:
Do any of you have a better source or homebrewed patch you could share?

Old T-shirts work best. I cut them 1 1/2" for a 50 cal. For a .45 I cut them 1". I am fortunate to usually have a supply of old t-shirts. You can get a lot of patches out of one too. I use my wifes fabric cutter to make the patches after I've cut alll the seams off with a pair of scissors.

Yard sales are the ultimate patch supply stores. You can get t-shirts cheap.

If I am unfortunate enough to run out of old t-shirts I get the cheap patches from Wal-mart.

WildShot said:
I cut my own from 100% cotton flannel. 2? squares of solid white material for 50 cal, 2 1/2" for 12 ga. I cut them with a ?pinking? tool that prevents the edges from raveling. Better than anything you can buy.
:yeah:

#1 Where are you getting the fabric, other than old T's?
#2 What kind is it?
#3 Where can you find a pinking tool?

If you have a Wal-Mart in your area(who dosen't?) go to the sewing dept. and ask for some cotton flannel,a yard will make allot of patches. Just make a cut about 1 1/2 inches from the end,and tear it off(it will tear straight) then lay about 3-4 strips together,and cut across about every 1 1/2 inches. You will have a bunch of patches,and they clean great! :D

Pinking tool also called pinking shears are just like a scissors with serated
Cutting edge a zig zag cut any sewing store will have one.
Redclub

I admire you guys who cut your own patches ....BUT for the few $ it costs me I buy bulk shotgun Southern Bloomers patches and T/C 2&1/2" patches. The T/C patches work best in my Omega

s6

I don?t cut my own patches because I am totally cheap, which I am, but I prefer the quality that I can only get when I make my own. Also, I go through a tremendous amount of these. They can be reused by putting them in a mesh laundry bag, the kind ladies use for delicate items, and run through the wash. This is a 2? square, 100% cotton flannel patch that I use for 50 cal rifles. I also cut them smaller for small bore and larger for shotgun. I have considered selling my excess or accepting orders for custom sizes but there seems to be a lot of options already on the market. Is there any interest out there in premium quality cleaning patches specifically for muzzleloaders?

PICT0005.JPG

My wife gets me flannel sheets from yard sales. I cut them into 1 1/2" sqares with pinking shears.

WildShot said:
I don?t cut my own patches because I am totally cheap, which I am, but I prefer the quality that I can only get when I make my own. Also, I go through a tremendous amount of these. They can be reused by putting them in a mesh laundry bag, the kind ladies use for delicate items, and run through the wash. This is a 2? square, 100% cotton flannel patch that I use for 50 cal rifles. I also cut them smaller for small bore and larger for shotgun. I have considered selling my excess or accepting orders for custom sizes but there seems to be a lot of options already on the market. Is there any interest out there in premium quality cleaning patches specifically for muzzleloaders?

PICT0005.JPG
There must be! T/C sell allot of them every year! :D

Latest posts

Back