Cleaning a Traditions Nitro Fire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage110

Reaction score
I just bought my first Muzzleloader a Traditions Nitro Fire. There isn't much information on what cleaning products you can use. Traditions does sell Firestick saturated cleaning patches BUT I have never seen any in stock. The firestick uses Hodgdon Triple Eight powder , and for cleaning it says " The new Hodgdon Triple Eight is not designed for water-based clean-up. Using a cleaning solvent provides an effective and efficient job cleaning." . Do any of you know if something like Hoppes 9 or Ballistol would be proper solvent's for Hodgdon Triple 8 powder ?. Thanks for and info

I believe “Triple 8” powder is just rebranded BH209, so I’d use a conventional solvent like Hoppes #9.
Thanks.... I e mailed Traditions earlier in the year and a woman replied stating not to use Hoppes. They probably just want to push their own cleaning products...BUT they are never in stock. I e mailed Federal today and was told use Thompson Center number 13 Bore Cleaner

Back