Cleaning recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the breech plug....I let it soak in Hoppe's and it seemed to clean up nice. I used a drill bit to clean out the flash channel. One thing I noticed is that the flash channel wall is still lined with fouling from the primer. I couldn't get it off. Does this really matter or should I find something to get it down to bare metal?

rangerod said:

I cleaned where the primer sits with Q-tips and it worked well. The q-tips won't fit into the flash channel tho. I guess I could try cutting them to size. I tried the drill bit trick and it scraped it away but left a thin layer of fouling on the metal inside

Pro Shot SS gas port brush set. They are made to remove stubborn carbon deposits. Dewey also makes some with a handle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/955831 ... ckage-of-3
Tool comes with three brushes.
Brushes are 1/8" diameter x 1 1/2" long.
Additional replacement brushes are available, product number 262-337.

I use these after the drill bit.
ProShotBrushs.jpg

GM54-120 said:
Pro Shot SS gas port brush set. They are made to remove stubborn carbon deposits. Dewey also makes some with a handle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/955831 ... ckage-of-3
Tool comes with three brushes.
Brushes are 1/8" diameter x 1 1/2" long.
Additional replacement brushes are available, product number 262-337.

I use these after the drill bit.
ProShotBrushs.jpg

Thanks. I'll have to get something like this. So I should be cleaning it down to bare metal then? A thin layer of fouling in the flash channel is not ok?

I've never done it in my bp and had no problems. Probably a good idea though. I'm going to start. Brushes don't cost much and are good insurance. I didn't even think about until I read your post.

I never thought of it either until I held the plug up to the light to see through the hole after cleaning and noticed the channel still lined with a thin layer of fouling. I tried the drill bit again and a pipe cleaner but neither got it down to bare metal.

Not sure if it would really affect the performance but I like things to be 100%

Good way to look at it. Your attitude will certainly help to insure you don't have problems down the road. What a shame to miss the big buck because something went wrong.

Ya with only one shot I don't want leave anything to chance!

Another question...(sorry for so many)....does the fouling from the primer harden in the breech plug over time? Do I need to get on getting a brush and cleaning it asap?

I don't think I'd be concerned about it. Like I said in an earlier post I haven't used the wire brush before and never had a problem. I think it's a good idea but if you use the drill bit you'll be fine.

Me, i can only speak about burning Blackhorn.... What i have learned is the fouling in the flame channel is so very hard right away from the beginning shot, it seems like steel. It gets thicker and thicker with every following shot, but doesn't get any harder.

When cleaning the rifle, after it is shot, i remove the plug. Then a drill of the proper size is used to remove the hard carbon from the flame channel. Then the plug is soaked in a pill bottle filled with Windex with vinegar solution. The solution softens the thin layer of carbon left in the channel, and the carbon coating the nose of the plug. When removed from the solution, the remaining carbon, i wipe off with a paper towel. If some carbon remains, the plug can be soaked some more, or i may use a scotch bright pad to remove the remnant carbon. Using a pipe cleaner dries the inside of the plug; a paper towel dries the exterior.

The carbon in the channel is hard like steel, right now. Using a Windex vinegar solution, or other solutions, softens it.

When you write, asking if the carbon hardens with time, no one should be able to answer your question, because no one should leave their rifle uncleaned for time.....

ronlaughlin said:
Me, i can only speak about burning Blackhorn.... What i have learned is the fouling in the flame channel is so very hard right away from the beginning shot, it seems like steel. It gets thicker and thicker with every following shot, but doesn't get any harder.

When cleaning the rifle, after it is shot, i remove the plug. Then a drill of the proper size is used to remove the hard carbon from the flame channel. Then the plug is soaked in a pill bottle filled with Windex with vinegar solution. The solution softens the thin layer of carbon left in the channel, and the carbon coating the nose of the plug. When removed from the solution, the remaining carbon, i wipe off with a paper towel. If some carbon remains, the plug can be soaked some more, or i may use a scotch bright pad to remove the remnant carbon. Using a pipe cleaner dries the inside of the plug; a paper towel dries the exterior.

The carbon in the channel is hard like steel, right now. Using a Windex vinegar solution, or other solutions, softens it.

When you write, asking if the carbon hardens with time, no one should be able to answer your question, because no one should leave their rifle uncleaned for time.....

Thanks alot for the reply...this is some great info for a newbie!

I have a question and it may sound dumb but bare with me.....when you say windex/vinegar solution do you mean get some regular windex and mix it with vinegar or buy a windex product that contains vinegar instead of ammonia?

Sorry....just want to clarify and get things right.

She, the bride, purchases the Windex with vinegar premixed at the store. Could be it is called 'all purpose cleaner'? No, it is called Windex Multi-surface Cleaner

Back