windex - with ammonia or vinegar?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30913

Reaction score
I'm new to muzzleloading, and when I searched around these forums, I was surprised to learn that blackpowder substitutes can be cleaned using water-based cleaners - I was VERY surprised to learn something as simple and cheap as Windex would do the job!

I bought the CVA-branded soaked patches for my CVA Optima (has a nitride barrel) because that's all their marketing videos say to use (surprise, surprise)... I never saw them mention being able to use something like Windex. I was also using Gunzilla, but I would like to save that stuff for my modern rifles and shotguns. And now I'm questioning if Gunzilla is even good to use to clean blackpowder substitute crud.

My question is - some people say regular Windex (with the ammonia) is fine, but others say get the Windex with vinegar (which is ammonia-free) -- Why is ammonia to be avoided? And if I get Windex with just the vinegar, can you use it "straight" or do you dilute it or do you mix it with more vinegar?

I also read here that some people put Murphy's oil soap in the Windex... what does Murphy's oil soap do that straight Windex can't do?

I'm looking to make my own soaked patches so I don't have to keep buying the CVA-branded ones. I'm sure I can make more of them cheaper on my own. Just soaking patches in Windex and putting them in a jar with a twist-top cap seems simple enough.

I use the cheap dollar store brand but when I ran out a few weeks ago, I borrowed my wife's bottle from under the sink. It's got vinegar in it. I've been using it and find no issues cleaning my muzzleloaders at the range.

I use blue Windex with about 10% rubbing alcohol (70%) isopropyl added. It aids with quicker drying time,..works the best …seems to create a consistent bore condition because it leaves no slick residue.

i swab the bore before leaving the range with a patch wet with Windex with vinegar. The weak acetic acid dissolves and neutralizes the fouling which is base.

At home i swab the bore with dry patches followed by cleaning with a patch wet with tap water.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about using lighter fluid for swabbing?
I have only heard of using it to clean trigger assemblies. I probably wouldn't use it to clean a bore, unless i was going to follow it up with something else. But i am curious if it would clean any better(or worse) than other solvents.

I use blue Windex with about 10% rubbing alcohol (70%) isopropyl added. It aids with quicker drying time,..works the best …seems to create a consistent bore condition because it leaves no slick residue.
^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back