Cleaning the firing pin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

Reaction score
How often do you remove and clean the firing pin and bushings? CVA says it needs cleaned. Do you clean it every time you clean the rest of the ML?? I never cleaned (only oiled) the firing pin on my shotguns and centerfire rifles.

Does it depend on the amount of blowback from the breech plug?

Dave

i always used a can of carb cleaner with the little hose attachment, pushed it up against the firing pin and let her rip. Theres just a slotted screw looking type deal that you unscrew and pull out the firing pin/spring.

I went a year and a couple hundred rounds without cleaning it on my CVA Optima because I didnt have the proper sized screwdriver and I started to bugger up the screw and stopped. Now that I have the right sized screwdriver its no big deal. I don't do it everytime I clean, but It is a good idea to do it now and then, plus you can inspect the spring and pin and replace if necessary before you have a problem.

I have a Remington Genesis and I clean my firing pin every time I shoot it. It's never dirty but I clean it anyway.

Back