Cleaning ????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nubbuck40

Reaction score
Ok, I have the omega z5 and I went out today and shot it with much better results. Now I've cleaned it,,,,,,,,,,,,do I or do I not use the bore butter between hunts? I do use sabots and I've not yet used the bore butter, but I've read something about it helping to season the barrel and I'm somewhat confused on this point........Any information and clarification would be appreciated..

thanks

nubbuck40 said:
Ok, I have the omega z5 and I went out today and shot it with much better results. Now I've cleaned it,,,,,,,,,,,,do I or do I not use the bore butter between hunts? I do use sabots and I've not yet used the bore butter, but I've read something about it helping to season the barrel and I'm somewhat confused on this point........Any information and clarification would be appreciated..

thanks

nubbuck40 - the use of bore butter is a highly debated topic. Remember that Thompson Center Arms who recommends it, also sell it. Personally I see no need to season a barrel. I season a cast iron frying pan, but not my rifles. The new steel used is not like the barrels of old. I use a quality gun oil after I have the rifle cleaned. I swab the barrel and store it that way.

The problem with bore butter is, if applied wrong, you might be in for a very bad surprise the next time you take the rifle out to shoot. Also bore butter will build up in the bore of the rifle if you do not remove it between shooting sessions. Gun oil can be swabbed out of the barrel with a simple alcohol patch.

I will not tell you not to use bore butter. You decide what you want to use to protect the bore of your rifle. Do you wax the bore of your center fire rifles when you store them? Probably not. So why would you want to wax the inside of your muzzleloader.

i used to use borebutter, stopped using it about 6 months ago. i now just use good old fashioned Rem oil. my omega loads easier, is easier to clean, and i think is more accurate. i have trusted rem oil in all my other guns for years so why not my ml.

i agree with the rem oil. used to use bore butter but you have too clean the gun real good before you shoot it. rem oil just swab the barrel and your ready to go. :D

cayuga,i think that is the best answer i have read todate on the use of bore butter.At one time i thought the world of the stuff,but i have long since stop useing it for reason's that i will not go into anymore. :)
cayuga said:
nubbuck40 said:

thanks

nubbuck40 - the use of bore butter is a highly debated topic. Remember that Thompson Center Arms who recommends it, also sell it. Personally I see no need to season a barrel. I season a cast iron frying pan, but not my rifles. The new steel used is not like the barrels of old. I use a quality gun oil after I have the rifle cleaned. I swab the barrel and store it that way.

The problem with bore butter is, if applied wrong, you might be in for a very bad surprise the next time you take the rifle out to shoot. Also bore butter will build up in the bore of the rifle if you do not remove it between shooting sessions. Gun oil can be swabbed out of the barrel with a simple alcohol patch.

I will not tell you not to use bore butter. You decide what you want to use to protect the bore of your rifle. Do you wax the bore of your center fire rifles when you store them? Probably not. So why would you want to wax the inside of your muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Back