Cold weather barrel sweating.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSalyards

Reaction score
I have heard about leaving your rifle outside because of the barrel condensating or sweating. What do you do when traveling? Can't store in a warm pickup cab, and should a barrel plug - balloon be removed to allow it to breath? What to do when the weather turns from hot to cold. I've never dealt with this before as this is my first year hunting with a ML. My buddie just ruined an awesome elk hunt because of this and not knowing how to deal with it.

Out all day, In my Warm house all night. I hunted 6 days last year in 5-10 degree weather, Not a problem :yeah:

Muley Hunter said:
I've never been hit by a truck crossing the street. That doesn't mean i'll stop looking both ways before crossing.

I’d Say you got a SOLID plan going there Pete :lol:

My buddie had a 4 day Bull tag in New Mexico. The first three days were at 60 degrees and rain off and on. Then it got down to 15. Bulls everywhere and they were hunting a big 8x8 they spotted the first day. The last day they decided to make meat with a 6x6 and gun wouldn't fire. Barrel was full of moisture and powder ( BH) had turned to goo, and he did have a balloon on the barrel. Inexperienced with muzzleloader hunting I just don't want to make the same mistakes. That's why I'm asking.

I can muzzleloader hunt the entire month of December and January, I often wondered about that, I leave my gun loaded until I kill a deer, some time that can be 2 weeks in and out of the house, never had a problem.between Christmas and new year I hunt every day,and never unload,that’s in and out quite a bit?

I tend to leave my ml loaded through the season, and have never had that problem. I do remove the #11 percussion cap at the end of each day, before putting it in my vehicle, to comply with regulations. Then, at the house, I leave the gun in the kitchen overnight, where it is warm and very dry. (But not too close to the woodstove.) I may peal back the electrical tape from the muzzle.

The only time I had powder wet enough to not fire was when I hunted in the rain all day, and did not have the muzzle covered. Lesson learned, and now I keep a roll of electrical tape in my possibles bag. Taping the muzzle is now part of my loading process, right before capping.

dwm said:
I can muzzleloader hunt the entire month of December and January, I often wondered about that, I leave my gun loaded until I kill a deer, some time that can be 2 weeks in and out of the house, never had a problem.between Christmas and new year I hunt every day,and never unload,that’s in and out quite a bit?

:yeah: The key is allowing the rifle to completely dry of sweat/moisture from outdoors to indoors, Overnight in your warm home will most certainly do that. When the hunting day is over (Dark) Here where i live Dark comes about 6:00-6:30 PM, and don’t get Daylight til nearly 7:00 AM, That Gives my Rifle at least 10 hours of standing in my Warm House of 70-72 Degrees. Last year after our Short Cow Elk hunting season had ended, i stopped at a Sand Pit on my way home to unload my Gun that had been loaded for a Week, And had been Brought in and out of my warm House every Day of that week, My Rifle Fired immediately, just like a Centerfire :yeah:

These type of threads always end up the same way. Some are cautious and some are not. Some had a problem and some have no problems.

I can see the condensation so I choose to be cautious. I think the game deserves a good load every time. Just going bang doesn't make it a good load. It could be weak from the moisture.

Anyway, it's a personal thing.

MSalyards said:
I have heard about leaving your rifle outside because of the barrel condensating or sweating. What do you do when traveling? Can't store in a warm pickup cab, and should a barrel plug - balloon be removed to allow it to breath? What to do when the weather turns from hot to cold. I've never dealt with this before as this is my first year hunting with a ML. My buddie just ruined an awesome elk hunt because of this and not knowing how to deal with it.

I would suggest to you that if you ar in doubt at anytime about the condition of your load - get it out!

Then I would say to you that I have left a load in my ML for weeks and months and have never had a problem with going off and being accurate. The rifle comes in and out of the house and yeas in and out of the pickup. The key for me is the rifle never goes from really cold to warm temps. If you wear glasses you can do the experiment your self.

Hunting the rifle goes form what ever the ambient temperature is outside to inside the cab of the pickup which will be near the same temperature. Then the truck is driven and warmed up slowly in the cab. The rifle warm slowly also. When I get home the rifle comes out of the truck into the house. It is placed in the cleaning rack with the bolt and muzzle open allowing air access to the breech and the bore. Next morning out of the house into the truck and out to hunting.

Workes for me...

But again any doubt in your mind - get the load out...

Kind of what I figured but I had to throw it out there. It never hurts to ask. And thank you all for the response. Mike.

MSalyards said:
..........gun wouldn't fire. Barrel was full of moisture and powder ( BH) had turned to goo.........

Just my opinion, but it seems to me there is no way condensate turned Blackhorn powder to goo. Rain got into the barrel.

When i hunt, i am too lazy to discharge my rifle every day, unless i have shot something, and reloaded. When i have shot something, i discharge, and clean the rifle at the end of the day, and reload it for the next day. Leaving a clean loaded rifle for several days/weeks has worked just fine, and has not resulted in a delay, or a misfire; ever, ever. If you/i hunt in the rain, discharge the rifle, clean it, and reload it for peace of mind, and assurance it will fire when you pull the trigger on an eight point bull. Yes i do tape the muzzle of the rifle when hunting in the snow.

I have a tube of BH topped off with water for hours and the particles of powder are still just as firm as when the water was added. I even shake it up occasionally, the water is still clear. Will see what happens after a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe BH absorbs water. The example in the OP's post might have got oil in it.

I use black powder and it definitely absorbs water.

I leave my muzzleloader in a soft case in the garage overnight. It’s not as warm in my garage as the house so my barrell doesn’t experience a large temp swing.

UTGrad said:
I leave my muzzleloader in a soft case in the garage overnight. It’s not as warm in my garage as the house so my barrell doesn’t experience a large temp swing.

Our garage is unheated and that's where my black powder guns go at night. I have a work room with a lockable door and a closet, where the guns will be kept. The garage itself is locked all the time anyway.

Muley Hunter said:
I don't believe BH absorbs water. The example in the OP's post might have got oil in it.

I agree with Pete, Excess Oil was likely the Culprit. I am guilty of this myself, After I Clean, and Dry a rifle Good that i plan to put away for any length of time, i Don’t skimp on the Oil, I Stand my rifles with the barrel up and Allow the Excess to Gather in the Patented Breech, Fire Channel (Sidelock) I have a Clean Patch folded and put between the Hammer and Nipple. The problem this creates is Drying the Oil out good from the Patented breech/Fire Channel when i decide to shoot the Rifle. I bought a 1/4-28 Magspark 209 Nipple strictly for my Cleanout, and Fouling Routine. After i Swab the Bore good, I Pop a Fed 209A Primer or 2 Through my Sidelocks with the Barrel pointed down, Then Run another Dry Patch or 2 through. So far, so good :yeah: Same would apply with an Inline, Pop a few Caps Through with barrel down To blow any excess oil down the Bore where it can be Got with a Clean Dry Patch. Before i loaded an inline i would have the Breech Plug in my hand and Know for sure it was bone dry, Then Pull a Bore Snake Through the Bore, Wrap the Plug with Teflon tape, put it back together and Load it. What does this have to do with Condensation? NOTHING :D

Idaholewis said:
Out all day, In my Warm house all night. I hunted 6 days last year in 5-10 degree weather, Not a problem :yeah:
Lewis can you do a video on that so we can all see your storage steps. Video is always proof that you really do it that way.

Rlsmith said:
Idaholewis said:
Lewis can you do a video on that so we can all see your storage steps. Video is always proof that you really do it that way.

LOL! NO! You have to trust me on that one :yeah:

Latest posts

Back