Colorado Leftover List Is Out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there usually "all kinds" of leftovers, or is this unusual for CO this year:?:

I seem to have a lot more choices for tags this year. The overall list seems longer too.

Last year I didn't see one tag in my units that I could get. This year I see a bear, 7 deer, and 5 elk tags I can get.

I'm having a hard time decided what I want to get.

Ummm...all of them?! :D

In all seriousness, what will be the deciding factor?
If it were me, I'd opt for elk since I like it a bit more than the other two...well, a bit more than deer and a LOT more than bear, but bear gives you patch lube and bear salami and summer sausage is good with the right "brine".  I think it'd be fun to render down some bear to experiment with patch lube, but I've never done it so that makes it more interesting to me.
Which month would play into it for me though too, I love hunting in a bit of snow and cold as long as the wind isn't blowing a lot or it's super cold.
Nice to have choices at least.

Funny you should say that. I was just talking to Jon about doing just the elk hunt. I'm going that way. I'm like you and it's the only meat I really like. Plus, I really love the area that I hunt for elk.

Good choice, it's tough to not want some elk meat in the freezer.
Muzzleloader hunt?  What month is the season?

It would be very tough for me to give up elk hunting even for a year.  My over the counter "A" tag gives me the whole month of September to archery hunt for them during the rut, and if unsuccessful there is a December muzzleloader only season on the same tag for 10 days cow or spike.  Archery and black powder, my two favorite things.  September season is just tons of fun, grouse is open, nearby stream loaded full of Brook trout and crawdads.
The "A" tag also has a depredation cow only within 1 mile of a cultivated field season for the whole month of August, but I just don't have much interest in that hunt let alone how hot it still is.

Yes, muzzleloader hunt. Starts Sept 14th and goes for 9 days. Our archery season is also for a month during the last part of Aug into Sept. So, our archery and muzzleloader run at the same time. Something nobody likes on either side.

At least you can hunt them during the rut, should be prime time. 
I'll bet neither likes that set up.  It would be tough for me to continue archery hunting for them if a sidelock was an option.  Getting the bow drawn on them is tough sometimes without them spooking.
The main attraction for me is hunting them in the rut and of course elk meat in the freezer, so the sidelock would get the nod.  I'd just switch to sitting in a tree with my bow for whitetail at that point.  Right now it is basically the other way around for me, other than I do a lot of still hunting when deer hunting with the sidelock instead of sitting in a tree.
Hopefully you'll have a successful elk hunt story to share in a month and a half.  Good luck.

Pete, we are seeing the same here with the available muzzleloading tags, lots of choices.

As for meat it depends on what the deer and elk are eating, foraging in the forests or eating alfalfa on the ranch fields. A friend told me there was no difference until I shared grass feed game, now he's a believer.

They eat a lot of sage around here. Not many if any crops to eat.

I just took my dog out and standing there staring at me were 3 bucks in velvet. One had a really good rack. Some would call him a trophy. The other two were good too but not the trophy the big one was. I've never been a trophy hunter but I still appreciate a good looking mature buck or bull.

I do love the challenge of still hunting the timber for a mature buck. They're pretty smart and a good challenge. I've always found it harder to get a mature buck than an elk.

I'm having second thoughts on the cow elk after seeing those bucks. There is 1 muzzleloader buck tag in my unit on the leftover list.

1 tag is always hard to get. I'll need to be first in line Tues morning when the list goes up for sale. For those who don't know. It's first comes first served. So, right at 9.00am Tues everybody all over Colorado at all the places we can buy tags including online and by phone are putting in for the tags they want. Trying for a tag when only 1 tag is available is always a long shot.

I need to think about this. What I could do is put in for the buck tag and if I don't get it take the cow tag as my 2nd choice. There are 7 cow tags available, so I still have a good chance of getting it as a 2nd choice.

Renegadehunter said:
Good choice, it's tough to not want some elk meat in the freezer.
Muzzleloader hunt?  What month is the season?

It would be very tough for me to give up elk hunting even for a year.  My over the counter "A" tag gives me the whole month of September to archery hunt for them during the rut, and if unsuccessful there is a December muzzleloader only season on the same tag for 10 days cow or spike.  Archery and black powder, my two favorite things.  September season is just tons of fun, grouse is open, nearby stream loaded full of Brook trout and crawdads.
The "A" tag also has a depredation cow only within 1 mile of a cultivated field season for the whole month of August, but I just don't have much interest in that hunt let alone how hot it still is.
Can't beat bowhunting the rut coupled with a December smoke season.  My two favorites as well.

I’m glad I drew all my tags this year & don’t have to check that list all summer for returned tags!  It’s extremely frustrating because anything worth a darn is gone within minutes. Although frustrating I have benefited from a couple good tags in the past so...

OldMtnMan said:
I do love the challenge of still hunting the timber for a mature buck. They're pretty smart and a good challenge. I've always found it harder to get a mature buck than an elk.
When still hunting in Pennsylvania the white tails were and are pretty smart about the hunting seasons. We would talk about seeing them getting down on their knees and crawl pass a hunter on a tree stand or just standing. I always thought that was interesting how smart they were when compared to mule deer or black tail deer.

There were 5 of us hunting on our 300 acres near Estes Park CO about 15-16 years ago, hunting pressure had increased 75% over a 8-10 year period. Opening morning we were at our different favorite spots on the property (usually near our neighbors fence - a 10,000 acre ranch). Game animals would be there all the time with the large hay fields coming out of the National Park next door. I have a good spot where I could see for a 1/2 mile (on a hill side) with good brush around me to be hidden. I'm watching one of the hay fields as the morning sun comes up with a herd of 60-70 elk grazing. One of my friends is hiding below the cliff I'm on when here comes 4 mule deer below him (all does). Then I see the tips of horns above the brush not visible to my friend. Damn, mule deer have learned to crawl like their brother white tails. 
I told several older guys (locals) about this and was told I was either full of **** or I was day dreaming.   :shock:   :confused:

I would have got all mine but a few days ago I broke my back.(again) I'm going to retire from guns and hunting. I had a good run at it but it's time to let it go.

I'll spend out the rest of my days fly fishing.

OldMtnMan said:
I would have got all mine but a few days ago I broke my back. (again)

Are you going to have your back fused again Pete?  

Nothing wrong with being here to keep these guys on the straight and narrow old friend.  

If you need anything let us know, would be more than happy to try and help out.  

I have had my back fused three times, just a little stiffer after each operation and gritting my teeth more than before. Good luck - fingers crossed bud.

OldMtnMan said:
I would have got all mine but a few days ago I broke my back.(again) I'm going to retire from guns and hunting. I had a good run at it but it's time to let it go.

Oh man, sorry to hear that Pete!  At least you still live in the mountains and can fly fish in some beautiful country!  Good luck with your back situation.

Buck Conner said:
OldMtnMan said:
I would have got all mine but a few days ago I broke my back. (again)

Are you going to have your back fused again Pete?  

Nothing wrong with being here to keep these guys on the straight and narrow old friend.  

If you need anything let us know, would be more than happy to try and help out.  

I have had my back fused three times, just a little stiffer after each operation and gritting my teeth more than before. Good luck - fingers crossed bud.

No, I never had it fused. I have Osteoporosis and break my spine pretty easily. This must be 8-9 times by now. Because of the bone disease, it also takes forever to heal. Part of being an old fart but it sure isn't the fun part.

CoHiCntry said:
OldMtnMan said:

Oh man, sorry to hear that Pete!  At least you still live in the mountains and can fly fish in some beautiful country!  Good luck with your back situation.
That's true. I can't wait to heal and get back into fly fishing. I'm hoping before winter comes but maybe not. We'll see.

Sorry to hear that, I know you were looking forward to being in the elk woods this fall.
Now...next to hunting, fly fishing is the next best thing in my humble opinion.  Headed up the Selway (and nearby Lochsa) this evening after work to stay the weekend and do exactly that.  They were hitting yellow bodied para-hoppers really well a couple of weeks ago when I was there, but everyone says that shuts off in August and caddis types turn on.  We'll see.  I really prefer fishing a para-hopper anymore since my eyesight isn't what it used to be.  At about age 38 I noticed it wasn't 20-20 anymore and needed cheaters to tie on flies, and at 46 now I've noticed this year that following dry flies in rippled water isn't happening very successfully. Remember when I could follow a <a href='/tags/18' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #18'>#18</a> in rippled water, but no more.  Not a fan of wet flies and strike indicators, rather watch them hit it on the top.

Back