Completely stupid question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

air_rn

Reaction score
Ok, it is hot here! Like 96 and heat index of 107. I shot a couple guns today but the heat just works heck on the sabots. So here is the dumb question. What do you think about keeping the sabots in the refrigerator? Would it help? I walk out my door to shoot. Just curious on more experienced guys thoughts? Let the poking fun begin. :poke: I can take it!

I guess I would think it would help a little bit. Give it a try and report back. The only time I can stand Temps like that is out prairie dog hunting.

If it were me I would bring the gun back in the house after each shot since you just walk out the door and shoot. Put it under a ceiling fan or other fan. The other option would be a cooling rod.

I have tried that. It is so humid here right now it takes 15 minutes for the condensation to go away on the scope. It all reality probably just need to not shoot right now. Fall will be here soon enough!

How about shoot at first light? It can't be that hot then is it?

If it is, i'd move. I think it's a heat wave when it gets over 70 degrees with no humidity.

One trick I tried was to take a cooler and put ice in it. I then put damp towels in that cooler. After shooting I would wrap one of them cold towels around the barrel. Whether it helped or not, who really knew. After I swabbed the bore of the rifle, walked to the target, checked it, removed the towel and reloaded, the barrel had cooled a little. But I shot until barrels are too hot to touch. Not a fun day on the range in that kind of heat.

by the way, that cooler with ice in it was a real pain in the you know where. I carry enough stuff to my shooting bench. The cooler and towels were just another brick in the wall. Whether heat effects the sabots, I really can't say. I am sure the hot barrel would have some effect. But we sure are getting spoiled. :mrgreen:

Nope the good ole midwest. Our hunidty the last few days has been 90-100%. Gives a whole new meaning to hot mess.

Nope the good ole midwest. OUr hunidty the last few days has been 90-100%. Gives a whole new meaning to hot mess.

Nope the good ole midwest. Our hunidty the last few days has been 90-100%. Gives a whole new meaning to hot mess.

Even in Northern Wisconsin the last few days, its been unbearably hot and humid. But last night if cooled off and dropped to 42ºs . Had the windows open and cooled the house down to a comfortable 58ºs. Now that's sleeping weather.

I live on the coast. its always 90% humidity in the summer, and temps in the 90's are regular. I doubt the sabots would hold a temp for long. they are so thin, they would probably loose their cool by the time they were ready to be loaded. or even if kept in a cooler, would probably be heated by the time they were seated in a warm barrel. Guys have been using aluminum, or brass rods in a cooler, or a homemade PVC pipe tube wrapped with foam insulation. the rod has to be very close to the bore diameter. or it doesnt work nearly as well. wipe the rod dry out of the cooler, shove it down the barrel and in 30-60 seconds the barrel is cooled. a swab or 2, reload and go. I really dont shoot much in the summer either. My Scandinavian blood dont take to summer temps well. I become a human sprinkler system. I couldnt keep things dry . Maybe an hour or 2 just at sunrise once in a while could be had, but my focus is mostly on fishing for the warm months.

We deal with it in different ways. I use an aluminum rod just slightly smaller than the bore and I keep it on ice when not in the barrel I just wipe it good and stick it in the barrel while I check targets and shoot a different gun usually take 3. I also use Harvester sabots because they stand up to the heat much better that the other choice of course if you live in cold country the MMP is a better choice.

Latest posts

Back