Conical bullets in CVA Acura MR-x

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
A few few questions about lead bullets…

Is it ok or even advisable to shoot a conical bullet like the Hordnady Pennsylvania Conicals out of a modern fast twist barrel like the CVA Acura? I always liked the idea of a bullet that expands to engage the riffling and think these are interesting.

Would they need to be sized to my barrel? I’ve read the CVA barrels are slightly tighter than a true .500 bore and these are advertised as .512

How do I figure out my bore diameter? Also how do I go about sizing lead bullets? I assume a sizing die?

Are there any other non saboted lead bullets (or bullet molds) I should consider? CVA recommends I stay under 400 grains.

New to all this, so thank you for the wisdom.

500gr pure lead conical over 75gr Swiss Black Powder is no problem with your 50cal 1:28 twist..
No leading issues with an adequate grease groove or Paper Patch..
Yes, you need to know your bore to the closest 0.001”
Good Luck
5CD8F0FF-6F7C-46A6-BEAA-23027C53F421.jpeg
F9613930-2C1B-4C5C-B884-9E2A9ECC3149.jpeg

CVA states not to go over 400gr. Would you still shoot this setup in a CVA?
After this match - Knight asked me what I was shooting.. in our conversations, over the next months, years, etc, I learned these recommendations such as bullet weight are put in place to protect themselves from the general public who is just dumb enough to attempt a max powder charge with a max bullet weight. They had no problem with my bullet weight with a reasonable powder charge.
I taught them history, including the 1st Long Range ML in the 1850’s - a 45cal shooting a 530gr conical over 68gr Black Powder… They agreed our modern steels are better than the steel of 1850’s.

Latest posts

Back