Cow Elk with a muzzle loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to draw a Cow elk permit on Ft. Sill and connected right before dark. It was about a 125 yard shot from a standing position. I used a Remington 700ML .50 caliber with a traditions .45 caliber sabot, and 120 grains of pyrodex pellets. Bullet stopped under the hide on opposite side but the jacket separated from the core. The shot was centered up and down and about 4 inches further back than I wanted but still lungs. When I got to where she went into a tree line, there she was standing 25 yards away. They are TOUGH. A follow up shot knocked her down.

Attachments

• 261884764_6903340786372763_7749873601612464483_n.jpg
    261884764_6903340786372763_7749873601612464483_n.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 61
Congrats, nice elk. Was your hunt this year?
I was going to apply but I missed the deadline.
It was this year and was on Ft. Sill and not the Wichita mountains wildlife refuge which is a state special draw hunt. Ft. sill hunts are for active duty, guard, reserve, 100% disabled veterans and DOD employees.

There's some dandy eats. Congrats on the kill!

Oooo Yeah that looks delicious! Congratulations on a great animal. And thank you for your service.

Looks like a young, tasty one. And congrats on drawing that tag! Not an easy draw! Yes, they can be hard to put down, especially if not hit quite right. I just clipped the lungs on a cow one year, and had to track her for a mile and a half. Don't know if I would have found her without the help of my beautiful hunting partner/girlfriend. So, of course I married her, but that's another story.

I was lucky enough to draw a Cow elk permit on Ft. Sill and connected right before dark. It was about a 125 yard shot from a standing position. I used a Remington 700ML .50 caliber with a traditions .45 caliber sabot, and 120 grains of pyrodex pellets. Bullet stopped under the hide on opposite side but the jacket separated from the core. The shot was centered up and down and about 4 inches further back than I wanted but still lungs. When I got to where she went into a tree line, there she was standing 25 yards away. They are TOUGH. A follow up shot knocked her down.
congrats!!! My bucket list hunt is to hunt elk in the snow on a late season muzzleloader hunt. As to them being tough I would agree. I shot a spike bull twice a few years ago with a 200 grain accubond at 2540 FPS at a distance of 40 yards. First shot double lung, second shot through the middle of his liver. he trotted off like he didn't feel it. 70 yards he went down. Dead on his feet I guess. Such good Latin though !

Back