Crossbow deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious and I measured my Matrix Grizzly. From the front of the bow to the latch, I come up with 15 inches of draw length. Same thing with my Matrix 330.

Just curious and I measured my Matrix Grizzly. From the front of the bow to the latch, I come up with 15 inches of draw length. Same thing with my Matrix 330.
Not the front of the bow. From the resting place of the string. Usually there are two lines etched on the frame where you tune the string into. Centre of these two lines to the catch would give you the power stroke.

Last edited:
Not the front of the bow. From the resting place of the string. Usually there are two lines etched on the frame where you tune the string into. Centre of this two lines to the catch would give you the power stroke.
Yes, I gotcha on the power stroke.
Which I think on the Grizzly is about 12 inches?
Colorado has a different measurement. Why, I don't know.

That sounds about right if you're measuring to the front of the riser. That's how Excal and Colorado measure the draw length.

Colorado's laws on crossbows for BIG game (small game has no restrictions on the crossbow outside of what you can shoot it at)
6. CROSSBOWS
a. Draw weight must be a minimum of 125 pounds.
b. Draw length must be a minimum of 14 inches from front of bow to nocking point of drawstring.
c. Positive mechanical safety device required.
d. Bolt must be a minimum of 16 inches long, have a broadhead that is a minimum of 7/8-inch wide and with a minimum of two steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in the same plane for entire length of cutting surface.
e. Illegal during archery seasons.

LOL can't argue that, draw length isn't normally listed when looking at them online... Looking at the killer instinct 40 on cabela's site and finally broke down and asked as its not listed on ay site I looked at

its part of the Colorado laws on usage for big game (course we can only use them in rifle season)

When I was a teenager, I worked in a sporting goods store and sold and cut arrows to the customer’s
draw length. We had a bow with sort of yardstick arrow attached. The customer would draw the bow
and I’d note the measurement to the front of the riser, the edge furthest from the customer. I’d add an
inch to that and cut the arrows to that length. In the shop we considered the measurement to the front
of the riser to be the customer’s draw length.

Looks like a nice bow. Wonder how Excalibur measures the draw length compared to Colorado?

I talked to both of them. They both measure from nocking point to the front of the riser. The problem is Colorado didn't state that in the law. It will be my argument if I get stopped. I'll say the front of the riser is not the front of the bow. I'll probably still get a ticket.

Yeah, should I tell the warden that? :)

Better not. They seldom have a sense of humor. Especially, if they're trying to fill their ticket quota.

the two I work with probably wouldn't even bother unless there was more going on and they were just adding it all up, after all everything goes to deal cutting and most get dropped.

In the long run i'm glad the Mag 340 was illegal. I sold the 340 and just bought a Ravin R10. A much nicer bow. I love the built in crank system and 400 fps with a 400gr arrow isn't hard to take either. Only 6in wide when cocked will be a lot nicer when still hunting.

So, I spent more money but i'm happy with what I ended up with. I was ready to go back to a muzzleloader and I really didn't want to do that due to some medical problems.

Latest posts

Back