Crushed Pyrodex Pellets Risks?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time loading my revolver with pyrodex pellets. Temps are soon to be near 60 degrees, so I was using a load stand to load all 4 cylinders before I head to the range tomorrow. While seating a ball I could hear the pellet crush. Are there any safety risks from shooting a revolver where the pellet was accidentally crushed?

My thoughts when these first came out is I would crush one once in a while and cause inconsistent ignition? So I stuck with loose powder, which was cheaper anyway!
I've used Triple 7, FFG. Problem is you can't find any powder here locally. Nothing at Walmart. Rural King doesn't stock any black Powder supplies, nothing at Cabela's. I've also tried a couple of Mom and Pop's, but no luck. I could order online, but have to pay the $30 hazmat fee, so pellets are cheaper right now since I already have them. But I was able to find a new brass powder flask and measure for about $20 on sale at muzzle-loaders.com. So now I can store and load 777fg in one, and Blackhorn 209 in the other. I label them with a fancy label maker. Haha! I'm really getting into black powder. I think I love it!

I've used Triple 7, FFG. Problem is you can't find any powder here locally. Nothing at Walmart. Rural King doesn't stock any black Powder supplies, nothing at Cabela's. I've also tried a couple of Mom and Pop's, but no luck. I could order online, but have to pay the $30 hazmat fee, so pellets are cheaper right now since I already have them. But I was able to find a new brass powder flask and measure for about $20 on sale at muzzle-loaders.com. So now I can store and load 777fg in one, and Blackhorn 209 in the other. I label them with a fancy label maker. Haha! I'm really getting into black powder. I think I love it!
I mean you have to use what you've got access to, it's just sad that it's come to this!

for a nontradionalist, the plastic diner style squeeze bottles fer ketchup etc work great as powder flasks ;)

Excellent idea! Definitely no risk of a spark with those! And they are 2 for a $1 at Dollar General! lol
What I like best is that I use an empty 223, 308 or 45-70 case for a measure (30, 55, or 75gr 3F) and I can stick the tip into the case mouth and squeeze. When the powder hits the tip, it stops flowing. Quick and easy to get a full measure with no spilling, etc.

Back