Crying Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could not view that. But I think I have an idea of what it is about. One of the problems living in the middle of nowhere.

It is too bad that you can't view it. The problem is not in the middle of no where it is the problem of wolves expanding their home range from wilderness areas to agricultural settings.

Michigan's UP has just about as many wolves as the western states where this documentary is being shot at but only a fraction of the land mass. According to our DNR we have 10 times the wolf population required for sustainability. That's a problem.

Our neighbor state of Wisconsin also has a growing problem. I believe that your home state's hunting regulations include a map of where not to run dogs for hunting.

We need a season just like they have out west but the current law does not allow for that. At least we can shoot one if it poses a threat to our live stock or hunting dogs. It's a minor step in the right direction. The bottom line is we need a hunting and trapping season for them. Idaho sells about 30,000 tags annually to control their wolf population; Michigan should sell a similar number of tags.

Here in Wisconsin, we have a terrible wolf problem. The funny thing is, all the concerns the locals voiced when the gray wolf first was introduced have come true. I can remember the meetings with State representatives, when they gave their song and dance of the innocent gray wolf. We doubted them then, and time proved us right.

The maps of danger areas include where I live. Now the wolves are moving south into farm country. And finally they are talking a season on them. There used to be a large brown colored wolf that you would see in and around the local cemetery. But he finally moved on. As I have not seen it recently. A beautiful animal. But there are private residences within 400 yards of there.

Idaho's hunters have a success rate of about 1%. Here is a link on how they are doing with their kill. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=121

I used to hunt eastern Idaho, north of Salmon about an hour, along the divide every year. We watch the game animal population drop dramatically once the wolf population was established. My buddy sold his house in Gibsonville once that happened. We are done hunting that beautiful state.

Back