Curio/Relic license. Quick and easy! A "Light Version of your own FFL!"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got my Curio/Relic license. It allows me to buy guns, even metallic cartridge guns online, sent straight to me. Guns have to be older than 50 years. So about anything made before 1974. It is a "light" version of an FFL license.

Simple and cheap to get. I filled out a form, sent them $30 and a month later I have my license. No fingerprints. No passport-type pictures. Nobody coming to my home to check out my "facilities." Just came in the mail and I email it to online businesses and they send my guns straight to me.

Please understand that you are NOT A DEALER! You are considered a "Curio Collector." You cannot buy and sell guns to the public!

Rock Island Auction has my license and are sending two guns to me in the mail!

Since most of the guns I like are older than 1974, that I am very happy

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/instructions-form-77cr-application-federal-firearms-license

Last edited:
One down side is that you just can't buy and sell. You do have to comply with more rules: like keeping a log of your Collection of Curio's...

Always wondered how the legal genius' mind reconciles "keeping & bearing" not being "infringed" by things like "licenses, fees, regulations, and paperwork."

One down side is that you just can't buy and sell. You do have to comply with more rules: like keeping a log of your Collection of Curio's...
The log applies only to firearms collected after you used your C&R.

https://www.atf.gov/file/85006/download

27 CFR 178.125(f) requires licensed collectors to keep a bound record of all firearm curio or relic receipts and dispositions. The record must contain all acquisition information required by paragraphs (e) and (f) of the section.

27 CFR 178.125 is part of Subpart H, Records, of Section 178, Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition, of Chapter I, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, of Title 27, Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms, of the Department of the Treasury.

The bound record must include the following information:
  • Name of the manufacturer and importer
  • Model
  • Serial number
  • Type
  • Caliber or gauge
  • Date of sale or other disposition
  • Name and address of the transferee
  • Date of birth of the transferee if other than a licensee

Last edited:
I had one for over 20 years and gave it up this past January. Due to the current political climate surrounding firearms, did not want to subject myself or family to a potential ATF search of my residence. Never sold anything I had in my collection and followed all the requirements. My interpretation of the rules/ requirements permits a warrantless entry. Made the decision to just pay a dealer to get something I want. I could be wrong on my interpretation, but I sleep a lot better now.

I've had one for over 20yrs. I renew it every three years. I have bought a few rifles with it for my collection. It's worth it to me to have one.

The log applies only to firearms collected after you used your C&R.

https://www.atf.gov/file/85006/download

27 CFR 178.125(f) requires licensed collectors to keep a bound record of all firearm curio or relic receipts and dispositions. The record must contain all acquisition information required by paragraphs (e) and (f) of the section.

27 CFR 178.125 is part of Subpart H, Records, of Section 178, Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition, of Chapter I, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, of Title 27, Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms, of the Department of the Treasury.

The bound record must include the following information:
  • Name of the manufacturer and importer
  • Model
  • Serial number
  • Type
  • Caliber or gauge
  • Date of sale or other disposition
  • Name and address of the transferee
  • Date of birth of the transferee if other than a licensee
A handy "Bound Book" can be had on Amazon for $8.98 up to $24.99...Has room for hundreds of entries and is BATFE approved. Easy to use and virtually idiot proof. Same type of record an FFL uses and useful for insurance purposes.

Back