GRRW.CA - Kit Carson Rifle Revist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All i'm talking about is the barrel length Buck. Not the rest of the gun. I see too many guys saying the original Carson was 31". It's not hard to see the real gun and copy that part. Even Herb agrees 31" is correct.

So, I ask again. Why is TOW kit a 36" barrel? Not even close and I have to go to the trouble of cutting it to 31".

Bear Claw said:
All i'm talking about is the barrel length Buck. Not the rest of the gun. I see too many guys saying the original Carson was 31". It's not hard to see the real gun and copy that part. Even Herb agrees 31" is correct.

So, I ask again. Why is TOW kit a 36" barrel? Not even close and I have to go to the trouble of cutting it to 31".
Because that's the length these barrel makers supply the barrel blanks in, nothing to do with the gun being built. knucklehead

I was at Carl Walkers a few weeks ago and he has probably a dozen pieces of barrels from 6 inches to 4 inches in length (cut off barrels) of Hawken rifles built in his scrap metal barrel.

Colerain would supply the barrels to TOW in 31" length.  Why not make the kit accurate? 

They aren't blank barrels. The muzzle is finished and so is the breech end. Then they could make the under rib the correct length too. They advertise it as a Kit Carson kit. What part of it is Kit Carson? It's the same as the Bridger gun which also has the wrong length barrel.

It's not like the kit is cheap. Knucklehead.

Heard back from Herb, he has too many irons in the fire to be on here, but is willing to help those with questions on the Hawken guns. That's very nice of him to offer.  Here's his reply to this conversation on Hawken's and their guns, several of us he has corrected our remarks. 

I stand corrected Herb, thank you.
______________________________________________________________________​
It was OK to share this information.  I did get Jim Gordon's permission to copy his photos to help anyone who wanted the help.

Comment by Bear Claw (he says he wants an authentic Hawken). 'Herb built a Bridger 1/8" to 1' 33" and it was over 10  pounds'.

I said I had a GRRW barrel that was 31" long, 1 1/8 straight, and my copy weighed 10 pounds 8 ounces, IRC.  The original Bridger I measured at Helena, MT as 33 3/4" from snail to muzzle, and it was 1.185 wide ahead of the snail and 1.12 at the muzzle.

I scaled Liver Eating Johnson's rifle from Gordon's book.  If the lock is 5" long, the barrel is 31.75" and the trigger reach is 13.37", and Johnson was 6' 4" tall (it is in one of my AMLR posts) and weighed 270 pounds.

Connor said the Kit Carson Hawken was at GRRW.  No, they never had it, they had the Bridger rifle for about four years (IIRC) and I handled it there in 1978.

Bear Claw refers to American Rifleman, but the name of the site is americanlongrifles.com.  He said 'Herb seems to think the Carson and Bridger guns are the same.'  No, I said the Bridger had a barrel over two
inches longer but otherwise they were near twins.  Though I have not yet personally handled and measured the Carson rifle, one reference (Galamb) says it measures 1.129 ahead of the snail and 1.065 at the muzzle.  I don't
know where he got this.  And the Bridger barrel is not tapered, Carl Walker said you could make that much difference with a file.

Frontier Gander- Thanks.  It is nice to be loved, or even appreciated.  I freely share what I know that will help others, and so do many more on the AMLR forum, but it is uncommon for the original poster to come back and say thanks for the effort.

Bear Claw- I have assembled the most accurate measurements and details and even photos of these Hawkens and freely share them.  If you want the most authentic Hawken you can have built, as you wrote, I have shared what I know.  If somebody just wants a generic Track of the Wolf Hawken, that's fine.  'He's convinced a 14 1/2" LOP won't fit anybody'.  Never did I say that.  But probably 90 out of 100 people would shoot a shorter LOP better and most of those will be uncomfortable with such a long trigger reach. Hell, even Daisy Red Ryder BB guns have a 13 7/8" LOP for little boys- and you know how they hold the gun.

Conner- The real (Carson?) is in Jim Gordon's collection'.  No- it is in the Montezuma Lodge at Sante Fe.  I have been to Gordon's museum but have not yet handled the original Carson rifle.  I have carefully handled,
measured and photographed the Bridger rifle in Helena and a  Hawken  in Cheyenne and the "Robidoux" Hawken in Lincoln.

It takes a lot of time, photography and effort to post on forums, and I doubt I could contribute much to yours.  I have my hands full building a rifle for my antelope hunt this September.  It will be a Hawken fullstock caplock (because I like that shape) with a 13 1/4" LOP, but a .50 caliber 32" Rice Jaeger (swamped) barrel.  I will not call it a Hawken, but a plains rifle.  I will post about this on AMLR in time.  If any of your members want information I have or advice, they can E-mail me.   I have no interest in building for others.  Best wishes to all.  Herb

Sounds like Herb. He did say the Bridger and Carson gun is the same, except for the barrel length. Isn't that what I said?

I said Herb is picky and i'm not going over every detail again. I'm as stubborn as he is and what I said he said is correct.

He even corrected me on the name of the forum. What does that matter. he know we're both talking about the same forum. he posted in my thread over there. Maybe he's not aware I use a different name there? It's OldMtnMan. I should use that name everywhere. I like it the best.

Anyway, i'm going to have the TOW kit built with a 31 1/2" barrel and an LOP that fits me. Not Herb.

Latest posts

Back