custom squirrel barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just emailed Rice about making me a custom squirrel/coyote hunting barrel for my Renegade, told them I wanted a 22-24 in. barrel in .40 with as light weight a barrel as I could get, no sights to be drilled/tapped for scope mounts. With the light charges a .40 shoots shouldn't be any trouble burning powder and should be awesome to carry hunting.

they only make them in 1:48 unless you ask for a custom twist..I had a GM .40 barrel that I squirrel hunted with and it was super accurate, it would shoot 3 shots into the same hole or less then a dime almost at 30 yds so head shots were no problem with open sights as long as my eyes cooperated. With a scope shouldn't be a problem.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
What rate of twist would it be? I can see a .40
Being great for coyotes, but I would think it would be a bit rough on squirrels?

This one sounds like a LOT of Fun Dean :yeah:

The one i would REALLY like to play around with is a Fast twist .36 Cal 32” Long and 1” Diameter for the Hawken/Renegade, Fast enough that it would shoot Loooooooong 200-250 Grain bullets, Recoil from such a Setup would be a PURE Joy

yeah that would be neat, thought about a .36 but I've already got a Knight LK-93 in .36.. but may look into a .36 if .40 doesn't pan out like I want.

Idaholewis said:
This one sounds like a LOT of Fun Dean :yeah:

The one i would REALLY like to play around with is a Fast twist .36 Cal 32” Long and 1” Diameter for the Hawken/Renegade, Fast enough that it would shoot Loooooooong 200-250 Grain bullets, Recoil from such a Setup would be a PURE Joy

dbowling said:
yeah that would be neat, thought about a .36 but I've already got a Knight LK-93 in .36.. but may look into a .36 if .40 doesn't pan out like I want.

.40 Roundball would be a lot of fun! A neat thing about .36 Cal Roundball is being able to use 000 Buck shot which is .350 Diameter, I bought a 5 pound Box of Hornady 000 Buck for my TC Seneca’s, 5 pounds will go a LONG Way :yeah:
I use to have several unopened boxes of .390 Roundball but i had no use for it, and didn’t know anyone that did? I melted them down and made Bullets.

You ever shoot this in your .36 Cal? I weighed a BUNCH of these and they were all identical, They shoot REALLY good out of my Seneca’s :yeah:
09NLu1Ql.jpg

well just looked a guess they do still have it in 5# boxes Midway has it for 27.99 box.Will have to get me some to try.

No I haven't yet do they even make it anymore seems I was looking for it when I had another .36 and never could find any.. especially the 5# boxes seems someone told me they no longer made them but could be thinking of something else.
The .40 cal was a blast to shoot was like shooting a center fire it was so accurate.

Yeah I've seen it but I emailed them along time ago and they told me their buckshot was alot harder then regular shot, though I have heard from some guys it shot good for them.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
Ballistic Products sells 8lb jars of many different sizes of buckshot. I think it’s around $37 or $38 for 8lbs.

they told me theirs was quiet a bit harder then Hornady,said they knew people who used it in muzzleloaders but that they didn't market it for them. I'm sure it would work just fine since guys shoot wheel weight RB with decent accuracy.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
It has antimony in it, but Hornady’s buckshot does too. I doubt anyone makes pure lead buckshot anymore unless you do it yourself.

Back