CVA 1861 Navy Colt 44 cal Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I just bought my first BP pistol, a CVA 1861 Colt 44 cal. I have done some research but wanted to hear from you guys what loads you are using (amount and type of powder). Also, any tips you might have.

Thanks

20-30 grs. of 3F black powder with a .451 round ball. Start at 20 and go up. 30 is about max. This is for a Pietta. I'm not sure what ball size a CVA takes.

If it's an actual 1861 Colt Navy, it would be .36 cal., in which case loading a .451 ball would be quite a task.  The .44 cal model Colt would be the 1860 Army. 

I'll wager you really do have something the (really dumb) manufacturer labeled as they did, but historically, the models I've mentioned were as Colt made them.

If you have a .44 cal. model CVA whatzis, you will find that around 23 gr. 3F will give you optimum accuracy.

If it really is the Navy model .36 cal, then 17 gr 3F will be the most accurate load for a .375" roundball.

Well,  I'll just hop into my Chevy F150, or Honda Prius, and mosey along  now...

Back