CVA Accura MR and Powerbelt ELR 325 Grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTGrad

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 50 caliber ELR in a CVA Accura MR or any Accura?

Looks like TB got the 50cal Pro and ELRs already.
http://www.namlhunt.com/cva-paramount-pro.html
Parts i found interesting. The .497 is kinda small and smaller=takes longer to obturate.
This is a very near to bore-sized bullet - measuring .497" across immediately ahead of that snap on polymer base ... or ... belt. This hollow-cupped base measures .505" across, and is what holds the bullet in place in the bore.

Imagine a load like this in a rifle that weighs in almost 2lbs less than the Pro.
The bullet was powered by a 140-grain charge of Blackhorn 209. I still haven't gotten a new chronograph ... but I did pull out my older Shooting Chrony ... plugged in a new battery ... reconnected a couple of wires which had been broken by a sabot ... re-taped them ... and three shots across the screens gave me an average of 2,078 f.p.s
Yes, the 9.8 pound weight of the .50 Paramount PRO does contribute to softening that recoil

Just a FYI, a 45cal sabotless will get a 350gr and 120grV of BH209 out of the barrel at nearly the same speed. Swinglock clocked his at about 2000-2020fps shooting a 350gr Norfolk bullet.
fk7U8O0.jpg

It will be interesting if this BC is even close. It seems quite high to me but...............
I'm estimating the ballistic coefficient of the bullet to be right around .350.

Cool part about the Pro 50 1-22 though. It appears it will stabalize a 1.3" long 45cal bullet in a sabot. Those Cutting Edge 44cal 300gr bullets will be nasty if they expand as designed.
Another bullet I was anxious to check out from the 1-in-22 twist .50 Paramount PRO was the lengthy .430" diameter 300-grain all-coppder MAXIMUS polymer-tipped spire-point from Cutting Edge Bullets ... shown in one of the above photos. The 1.338" (with tip) bullet doesn't even come close to being stabilized by the standard 1-in-28 twist bores still being offered by the vast majority of modern in-line rifle makers. Even out of a snapper 1-in-24 bore, I've found fliers to be a very common occurrence. The snappier twist of the Paramount PRO .50 sure tames this one down.

Last edited:
Looks like he tried them in his Accura LR and they will shoot. I had a feeling they would.
http://www.namlhunt.com/your-ml-performance.html
Now, I have already gotten exceptional accuracy with the 325-grain ELR bullet out of my CVA .50 Accura V2 LR ... even though it does feature a slower 1-in-28 twist. Best accuracy was achieved when shooting a 120-grain charge of Blackhorn 209 out of the 30-inch barreled rifle. With 110-grains ... the combo regularly punched 1 1/2-inch 100-yard groups ... but with the 120-grain charge, groups tightened noticeably, and the rifle often kept the big bullet inside of 3/4-inches at a hundred yards.

Pushed by 120-grains of Blackhorn 209, the big skirted/belted .498" diameter poly-tipped spire point gets out of the muzzle at 2,026 f.p.s.

3 words if shooting that load in the much lighter Accura MR.....HOLD ON TIGHT

Back