Cva Accura problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klucas

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Cva Accura V2 with the nitride barrel treatment. Upon arrival the barrel was dirty, almost as if a few primers had been shot through and not cleaned, but the breech plug looked brand new. After cleaning the barrel thoroughly I could see marks in between the rifling. It almost looks like small paint runs throughout the entire barrel. The marks are even and consistent, but the barrel is not super smooth like my TC Encore. I contacted CVA and they advised it could go away after firing. Well after shooting today they are still visible. Also I’m not getting great results. I’m shooting Barnes 250grain TMZ with 100 grains of white hot. I’m only achieving 2 in groups at 70 yards( farthest I can shoot at my house ). Pulled the old TC out and was putting the rounds in the same hole. Both guns were in the lead sled with 0 chance of it being me. I’m kinda stumped. What are you guys getting with this gun? Also I clean after every shot.

Welcome to the group. There should be some cva experts along shortly to help you. Cva will make it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No expert but if that's the only load/charge you tried then more then likely the gun either doesn't like the bullet, sabot or powder charge or all 3.. wouldn't call anything wrong until you try several different powder charges with said bullet/sabot combo and several other bullets/powder charges..
Might try some BH209(w/bh209 breech plug) or loose 777.

If you have marks in your barrel that don't look right, send the rifle into CVA or take it back to the shop you bought it from, don't just settle for it, 2 inch groups at 70yds is not good from those rifles with a proven load.

Contacted CVA again today. They advised to try 300 grain instead of 250. Also it is not uncommon for the nitride to seap back out, but should be gone within a few more shots. Even though it is not a coating or paint the process can leave residue. CVA was very cool and advised me to use the gun for the season and if it didn’t seem right they would repair replace or refund the firearm. Any recommendations on an accurate bullet? I want to use White Hot and a sabot of some sort. I do not like powerbelts, I used them for years and never had a pass through, however I never lost a deer with one either... Still I want a high quality sabot.

I used brushes solvents and a dry patch to clean before my first shot. Nothing petroleum based and same stuff I’ve used for years.

You might try a session with some JB Bore paste to polish out some of what you see in the bore, 50 to 100 strokes. I do it with Any Firearm/barrel I buy.

As for a good 300 grain bullet, try the Hornady 300gn .452 (45cal) XTP in a Harvester Smooth short black or Crushrib. They are a great inexpensive deer bullet and shoot very well. They should work very well with the pellets. Another bullet you might try is the 300gn Speer Deep Curl, same .452dia. You can get either one in bulk packs and the XTPs are usually available in big box stores.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10108 ... llow-point

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71943 ... -box-of-50

Barnes 290gr T-EZ usually shoot good.

The factory oil is pretty nasty. I usually use brake cleaner to get it out and it still takes a ton of patches. If you don't get it all out it sort of bakes in when you shoot. JB is a good idea now.

I'd recommend a good scrubbing with favorite solvent, copper or brass brushes, dry patches and repeat. Favorite for me is .458 bullets of 300 grains (I prefer Speer), black crush rib sabot and loose powder of choice. (real black is best if shooting a smoker) I'd suggest start with 70 grains of loose and work up in 5 grain increments. I have found sweet spot is usually at 80 - 85- 90 grain range. Even better is get some Thor full bore bullets or some of the Fury 325 bullets. All my 50 cal guns like the .501 Thor or Fury. Full bore and no messing with sabots and they shoot great. Be sure get or use veggie wads or sub base with the Fury they really help a lot. For the 50 cal Fury I use 28 gauge shotgun wads with the petals cut off, no wad with the Thor. My experience and opinion, others will differ. W

Muley Hunter said:
Barnes 290gr T-EZ usually shoot good.

The factory oil is pretty nasty. I usually use brake cleaner to get it out and it still takes a ton of patches. If you don't get it all out it sort of bakes in when you shoot. JB is a good idea now.

Im with Muley on this one. Every new rifle ive gotten gets thoroughly scrubbed first with an aggressive solvent. If any shipping lube is in the bore when its been fired it gets baked on. Then its many times harder to remove it all. Whatever they use is more like cosmoline than stuff we commonly use for long term storage. Cant say im familiar with them using it in nitride bores though but ive seen that stuff in SS barrels.

We probably agree on as much stuff as we dont. Plus i would rather see you posting so i know you are ok. Even if you are a stubborn old coot. :p

We also agree i'm a stubborn old coot. :D

I like this forum because I know Jon can't post on it. :wink:

Every gun is different. I would suggest you try other load combinations (Powder, Sabot, Bullet, Full Bore, etc.) before you do too much work on the gun. My experience has been it works best if you find the load for the rifle not make the rifle like a load. Looking forward to your results...The CVA Accura is on my short list for a new rifle.

X3 on the JB treatment. 50-70 passes with JB on a patch wrapped around a bronze brush then flush out with Gun Scrubber or something similar. No reason that rifle shouldn't like that load. I would try the Harvester Smooth Black Sabots with 250 TEZ Barnes (Flat Base). Good Luck to you.

Xtp 300 gr/ harvester sabots and Barnes tez 290 are good choices. Switch to loose and give it a try. Pretty amazing what adding or subtracting 5 or 10 grs can do for a group.

Smooth harvesters in my Accura v2 are tight, too tight for me. 3rd load stuck in barrel and had to be emptied and knocked out. Bullet was a 300 gr Deep curl, 452. I switched to the black crush rib and it shoots great for me. 110 gr blackhorn, win 209 primer. 1 3/4 in groups at 77 yards, 32 degrees out. Mike.

MSalyards said:
Smooth harvesters in my Accura v2 are tight, too tight for me. 3rd load stuck in barrel and had to be emptied and knocked out. Bullet was a 300 gr Deep curl, 452. I switched to the black crush rib and it shoots great for me. 110 gr blackhorn, win 209 primer. 1 3/4 in groups at 77 yards, 32 degrees out. Mike.

Glad you are happy with how it shoots. Is the group sized with factory sights or aftermarket?

I switched to the peep rear and Lee Shaver front. If this State ever allows scopes to hunt with I'm sure I could tighten it up. The gun shoots better than I can. :wink:

Back