CVA Crossfire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
While at Friendship today, I had the opportunity to shoot one of the new CVA Crossfire rifles. Quite frankly, it changed my whole outlook about the rifle and ignition system.

Its lightweight, and accurate as all get out. I could literally shoot the rifle all day, as the recoil is almost non-existent. Extremely manageable.
One thing about it, you'll never double charge the rifle, ever. Yes, you could load two bullets, but with a witness mark, which everyone should be using, you really limit the probabilities of bad.

For a $450 rifle, I like it.

I got the email when the crossfire first came out and cva was recommended their elr power belts and they looked a little long for a 1:28 twist barrel.

I got the email when the crossfire first came out and cva was recommended their elr power belts and they looked a little long for a 1:28 twist barrel.
ELRs are designed for 1:24 or faster twist.

I read 1:24 or faster before so I don’t understand why they recommend it in their 1:28 twist crossfire. Maybe they know something we don’t ?

Tell us more.
LOL....... It's basically all I have. I was able to shoot the rifle a number of times and quite honestly, It was fun shooting it. It put bullets in the same hole.
It would make a great stalking rifle. Loads insanely quick. IIRC the new bullets will be very cost efficient too.
You won't double charge it.

I guess the bullet is top secret. But knowing the weight and the powder capsule charge would be helpful for a decision to buy.

I have read lots of different blogs and I don't understand all the hate towards the Firesticks. People whining about them not being reusable, or they cost to much. Are you really shooting your muzzleloader that much?? I get mine out and run a few rounds through it to make sure my zero is on and that's about it other than firing on a game animal. There are so many useful benefits to the Firestick that I feel outweigh the extra price, and unless your a true traditionalist who won't use anything except loose powder and percussion caps, what's not to like about it?? Easy to carry, waterproof, easy to load and unload, cleaner burning powder, less and easier cleaning, great accuracy and overall ease of use (especially for inexperienced muzzle hunters, such as my wife). I'm not seeing the problem.....

I have read lots of different blogs and I don't understand all the hate towards the Firesticks. People whining about them not being reusable, or they cost to much. Are you really shooting your muzzleloader that much?? I get mine out and run a few rounds through it to make sure my zero is on and that's about it other than firing on a game animal. There are so many useful benefits to the Firestick that I feel outweigh the extra price, and unless your a true traditionalist who won't use anything except loose powder and percussion caps, what's not to like about it?? Easy to carry, waterproof, easy to load and unload, cleaner burning powder, less and easier cleaning, great accuracy and overall ease of use (especially for inexperienced muzzle hunters, such as my wife). I'm not seeing the problem.....
I dont know about the hating on not being reusable or expensive. I do know they are filled with BH209(labeled as Triple 8) which is super expensive too btw. Yes it is a great powder in a super convenient cartridge. Lots of the complaints ive heard were more about the gun itself, how it’s not truly a muzzleloader because it uses a breech loaded cartridge. I personally don't have feelings about it or the firesticks. I wont buy one only because it is not what I'm looking for in a ML. If it had come out back when i started hunting with MLs i would have been all over it. Now tho, my needs are different. Thats the great thing about this forum, everybody can have a different opinion and its ok.

Could this be why BH209 prices keep going up-the manufacture of Firesticks is using up much of the BH209 inventory?
From what I've been able to gather, rumblings are that powder and ammo prices across the board are going to go up next year because of another powder shortage because of world events. Prices are starting to creep up right now. That will make it tough on everyone. I've been stocking up on all my ammos now before it gets crazy...
I dont know about the hating on not being reusable or expensive. I do know they are filled with BH209(labeled as Triple 8) which is super expensive too btw. Yes it is a great powder in a super convenient cartridge. Lots of the complaints ive heard were more about the gun itself, how it’s not truly a muzzleloader because it uses a breech loaded cartridge. I personally don't have feelings about it or the firesticks. I wont buy one only because it is not what I'm looking for in a ML. If it had come out back when i started hunting with MLs i would have been all over it. Now tho, my needs are different. Thats the great thing about this forum, everybody can have a different opinion and its ok
I dont know about the hating on not being reusable or expensive. I do know they are filled with BH209(labeled as Triple 8) which is super expensive too btw. Yes it is a great powder in a super convenient cartridge. Lots of the complaints ive heard were more about the gun itself, how it’s not truly a muzzleloader because it uses a breech loaded cartridge. I personally don't have feelings about it or the firesticks. I wont buy one only because it is not what I'm looking for in a ML. If it had come out back when i started hunting with MLs i would have been all over it. Now tho, my needs are different. Thats the great thing about this forum, everybody can have a different opinion and its ok.
There will always be the purists out there who think anything other than a flintlock isn't a muzzleloader. You still have to load the bullet down the muzzle so I think the argument is a little silly. This is simply modern technology applied to an old concept to make it better, safer and lets say more convenient for the masses. And if cost is an issue, then thank heavens there are plenty of options for someone's taste across the board. I have an old double barrel (rifled) .50 cal percussion cap rifle that was my fathers. He took deer with it no problem. I used it a couple of times, never took a deer. I will probably never use it hunting again because its such a pain in the ass as opposed to the new smoke poles I have. Definitely a matter of preference....

While at Friendship today, I had the opportunity to shoot one of the new CVA Crossfire rifles. Quite frankly, it changed my whole outlook about the rifle and ignition system.

Its lightweight, and accurate as all get out. I could literally shoot the rifle all day, as the recoil is almost non-existent. Extremely manageable.
One thing about it, you'll never double charge the rifle, ever. Yes, you could load two bullets, but with a witness mark, which everyone should be using, you really limit the probabilities of bad.

For a $450 rifle, I like it.

I would like to try out the CVA someday too! I have the Traditions Nitrofire and it's a great shooter. It's been pretty accurate for me on my 100 yd range. Everything you said about safety is right on the money. I have a witness ring on my ramrod for the exact reason you mentioned. I love being able to easily push the bullet out backwards with the ramrod from the breech end when in doubt. Where I live 100-200 yd shots is about the max.

Back