CVA Electra ML accident

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Saw this post on a hunting page in my state.
I did not share the gruesome photos.
Electric ignition is not allowed in NMLRA competitions as well as a few states.

C1F0ED3B-28EE-420A-B166-342D539922A3.jpeg

Last edited:
There is no prime in an electric, it failed and ignited by itself by my reading.

granted I wouldn’t have loaded it inside.

Dumb on his part for having gun pointed at foot turned on ready to fire, should always be pointed down range or straight up in air outside.
You cant fix stupid, good someone else didnt get hurt. Toytruck is correct as soon as he turned it on it was ready to fire there for primed.

Im not excusing the lack of safety precautions but the gun still shouldn’t have fired on its own without pulling the trigger, period. I think saying a guy that had his foot taken off ”got what he deserved” is pretty harsh.

Never had sympathy for stupidity..
I had to sew up a guy's foot in the military that did a similar thing.

Last edited:
Im not excusing the lack of safety precautions but the gun still shouldn’t have fired on its own without pulling the trigger, period. I think saying a guy that had his foot taken off ”got what he deserved” is pretty harsh.
You are absolutely right. Mistakes were made but awful to say he got what he deserved.

Very sorry to hear news like that. As ive posted previously, I do not believe in carrying a loaded gun anytime, though many on the forum carry loaded. I load when Im ready to shoot and the gun is pointed down range. I dont even agree to having the hammer down on an empty revolver chamber. We cant foresee events that lead to negligent discharges, they happen rapidly before we can think about them, then we kick ourselves and cant turn back the clock. Very sorry for that fellow.

I think my nephew has one of those rifles absolutely NIB, never fired. I'll ask him to be certain. He might just want to see if CVA will replace it with something that will work.

Yup, he just responded. Brand new in the original box never loaded or fired. I doubt he'll ever shoot it, especially now.

Last edited:
Yikes! I have two of them. Sit in the safe and may forever now after reading this post but he did have warning signs, burning up two ignitors so something was going on with the circuit.

John

Back