CVA Electra ML accident

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much time does it take to cock a hammer gun...why carry it half cocked. When you are still hunting you should have plenty of time to-get ready and cock the rifle.As someone else stated bad information and bad decisions has stopped the production of a lot of great Muzzle loaders ..IE Savage 10ML2 smokeless....

How much time does it take to cock a hammer gun...why carry it half cocked. When you are still hunting you should have plenty of time to-get ready and cock the rifle.As someone else stated bad information and bad decisions has stopped the production of a lot of great Muzzle loaders ..IE Savage 10ML2 smokeless....
LHR Redmption

A whole lot of misinformation in this thread.
1. It doesnt take 60 seconds for it to be ready to fire. With a used battery it takes about 12 seconds to charge.

2. As soon as you turn on the gun, there is a red warning light. This light stays on solid until fully charged, about 12 seconds.

3. When fully charged, the red light blinks. It can be shot almost any time when the red warning light is on.

4. When turned off, it is impossible to fire the gun.

5. I do not know the trigger pull, but my guess would be around 1.5 pounds.

6. After firing the gun automatically turns on the safety.

7. It is one of the safest guns to shoot.

This guy turned on the gun and fired it with the red warning light on. It is the only way it can be fired. That is like loading you percussion gun, putting a #11cap in it, pulling back the hammer two clicks, and deeming it safe to point it at your foot.

The whole story is total bs. He did a accidental discharge and wants to blame someone else instead of owning up to it.

I know it’s about a year old thread….Yet I feel the need to say my opinion.

I own one of these excellent rifles. It’s very Very accurate. If I turn on the switch- It’s Loaded and I point it in a safe direction all the time. End of story… Just like if I have a cap on my percussion rifle… and half cocked. Safety is pointing in safe direction.

Now- can a circuit board have a faulty issue, Sure! Can a percussion cap go off somehow accidentally, Sure can. Point being- if the Gun is pointed in a safe direction- Then no issue would have happened.

My Electra is a nice rifle… And the Bergera barrel is excellent. If treated in a safe manner, I feel it is A safe firearm. Turn of switch… and powder is off. Load gun and don’t have your face over muzzle at that time!

Ps- If Issue happened and it was repaired 2x -I’m sure CVA would not send back to customer if it was a defective muzzleloader. I’m betting the guy didn’t want to send it back a third time and tried to fix himself.

Maybe I’ll see what CVA will offer me if I call and ask to return this Dangerous rifle! Hmm?

I know it’s about a year old thread….Yet I feel the need to say my opinion.

I own one of these excellent rifles. It’s very Very accurate. If I turn on the switch- It’s Loaded and I point it in a safe direction all the time. End of story… Just like if I have a cap on my percussion rifle… and half cocked. Safety is pointing in safe direction.

Now- can a circuit board have a faulty issue, Sure! Can a percussion cap go off somehow accidentally, Sure can. Point being- if the Gun is pointed in a safe direction- Then no issue would have happened.

My Electra is a nice rifle… And the Bergera barrel is excellent. If treated in a safe manner, I feel it is A safe firearm. Turn of switch… and powder is off. Load gun and don’t have your face over muzzle at that time!

Ps- If Issue happened and it was repaired 2x -I’m sure CVA would not send back to customer if it was a defective muzzleloader. I’m betting the guy didn’t want to send it back a third time and tried to fix himself.

Maybe I’ll see what CVA will offer me if I call and ask to return this Dangerous rifle! Hmm?

Since it has become more difficult to find primers at a reasonable price, this idea might make a comeback.

It would not be that hard to add a key to be inserted before the power is connected to the battery.

The “Turn on” switch is sufficient in my opinion. Point in safe direction… Be smart. Yet a additional safety could be made, however I’m not interested in “Altering” Anything…. As I think that’s what Happened in the first place?!?!

This Electra is the Modern in-line Flintlock for today’s Cap Shortage issue.

Perhaps I should post it for sale, as I’m a Flintlock fan Also… and could use another. New fiber optics, lithium battery and clean bore.

Attachments

• 97533098-9737-483A-B48C-B88D1C0EE2B3.jpeg
    97533098-9737-483A-B48C-B88D1C0EE2B3.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 19
  • B9C6E49C-5449-481A-B289-02FB50A29263.jpeg
    B9C6E49C-5449-481A-B289-02FB50A29263.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 19
This situation is not unlike the Remington Walker trigger. I had one just go off without touching the trigger. It scared the hell out of me and shocked the ground next to my foot so much my left foot went numb. This was with a .270 Winchester. Learned a real safety lesson that day.

Also as someone who works on electronics for a living, I could see this kind of malfunction happening. Electronics work great until they don’t !

Your Foot went “Numb” from a Shot of a 270 next to it ?
This situation is not unlike the Remington Walker trigger. I had one just go off without touching the trigger. It scared the hell out of me and shocked the ground next to my foot so much my left foot went numb. This was with a .270 Winchester. Learned a real safety lesson that day.

Also as someone who works on electronics for a living, I could see this kind of malfunction happening. Electronics work great until they don’t !

What about it?
Sorry LHR. I should have explained myself a little better. I think bad Info and a bad decision by the original manufacturer as far as eye relief really hurt the Redemption. They should have contracted with DNZ to design a proper scope mount. It also didn't help all of the negative opinions by people who never actually had one in their hands. The Redemption is the best designed break action muzzy ever produced. I'll never let mine go.

Back on topic

I believe this is the First and only accidentally discharged CVA Electra I’ve ever heard of.
It’s to odd that it had electric issues prior to its discharge. What’s the rest of the story? What was replaced, what did the customer do to the rifle? And… Why if this man lost a Foot did he not have a law suit against CVA?

Something Doesn't add up. I understand electronic things can have problems…. Yet there simply are to many variables in this story

Sorry LHR. I should have explained myself a little better. I think bad Info and a bad decision by the original manufacturer as far as eye relief really hurt the Redemption. They should have contracted with DNZ to design a proper scope mount. It also didn't help all of the negative opinions by people who never actually had one in their hands. The Redemption is the best designed break action muzzy ever produced. I'll never let mine go.
Ok, yes I agree with this completely, if it has a fault it is definitely the eye relief issue. Mine originally had a red dot on it, so that was a non-issue, but when I put a regular riflescope on it, I did have a problem with that as well.

52bore - Sorry for the hijack of your thread !

The “Turn on” switch is sufficient in my opinion. Point in safe direction… Be smart. Yet a additional safety could be made, however I’m not interested in “Altering” Anything…. As I think that’s what Happened in the first place?!?!

This Electra is the Modern in-line Flintlock for today’s Cap Shortage issue.

Perhaps I should post it for sale, as I’m a Flintlock fan Also… and could use another. New fiber optics, lithium battery and clean bore.

Can the breech plug be removed for cleaning the Electra, like most inline muzzleloaders?

Two “Electronic” points from the Electric system contact the “Spark plug”. A dab of oil on each was suggested when I spoke to CVA Years ago

Last edited:
It’s really a great modern muzzleloader. Light weight and Without Primer it’s quick to reload. After…The reset of safety it takes about 15 seconds to be ready to fire. About as quick as any other muzzleloader.

Back