CVA Hawkins Build. hammer problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash1055

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am an absolute newbie here and with muzzle loading. I put together a CVA Hawkins .50 cal kit. It all came together nicely with the exception of the hammer. it will not fall to the nipple. It's stops at half cock. when I remove the hammer from the rifle and examine the mechanism it appears to function properly and fall forward as designed. 
Any suggestions or adjustments I need to make would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Rob

Yes, it must be binding on the wood somewhere.  Also make sure you're not tightening the lock down too much, that is a common mistake.  I take mine to just getting snug and then back it off a half turn.

I've had this happen and its normally the triggers are out of adjustment. Another possibility is the fly is sticking. Does the lock work while its out of the stock?

Could be that the screw that holds the lock on is a bit too long and the hammer hits it as it is falling. Not a big deal, you might just be able to file a few threads off the end so it doesn’t interfere when the screw is tightened through the stock.

Thanks everyone. I will give those things a try. I will try and get some pictures up as well.
Rob

most likely just out of adjustment and the trigger spring is not hitting the sear with enough force to drop it all the way down onto the nipple.

ash1055 said:
Hello Everyone,

I am an absolute newbie here and with muzzle loading. I put together a CVA Hawkins .50 cal kit. It all came together nicely with the exception of the hammer. it will not fall to the nipple. It's stops at half cock. when I remove the hammer from the rifle and examine the mechanism it appears to function properly and fall forward as designed. 
Any suggestions or adjustments I need to make would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Rob
This is what I took away from the original post.

-Joe

Well, it looks like my "quote" skills are lacking.
"When I remove the hammer (lock?) from the rifle and examine the mechanism it appears to function properly and fall forward as designed."
This is what I meant to highlight.

-Joe

img_4512.jpg

img_4510.jpg

img_4511.jpg

Back