CVA Kentucky Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlesontom

Reaction score
I just won a CVA kentucky pistol off Gunbroker. It will be here next week I suppose. Its in 45 caliber. The ramrod was missing but thats no big deal. They did give me $10 off because of that though. So the seller will definitely get an A+ rating. 

I paid a total with shipping of $136.36. So does anyone have one of these and how does it shoot for you? I have only had one other BP single shot that I still have. Its a shorter barreled version of the same gun also in 45 caliber. It was an incomplete gun I paid $35 for many years ago.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779269585

good deal! Mine is not the CVA version but a Traditions kit. I love mine. At 25 yards you can keep the shots touching with 35gr Pyrodex P, 015" patch and a .490 round ball.

You'll have a lot of fun putting that one together. Just take your time and go slow and pay attention to detail.

Thanks Jon. I have built a few rifle kits and the one handgun that was a partial kit someone had started. I used to buy used BP guns from pawn shops and redo what others had messed up or gave up on. The best one was a CVA duel barrel 45/32 with a 7/8" barrels. It was short and light to carry and its one of those I regret selling. My bud has it but no power on earth will get him to sell it back to me. :x

I look but I never see old BP rifles in pawn shops anymore. I have heard some shops will not even consider buying them now. I guess they can't sell them.

I like building stuff. To the best I can count from my shakey memory I have built around 50 RC model airplanes. Some of my own design. I have 8 airplanes now. I don't fly them much. Not as much as I would like anyway. :(

I have a pile of CVA pistols. In both .50 and .45 cal I also have one of the more updated Traditions .50 Kentucky pistols... Also have CVA Hawken, Mountain, Colonial, etc, etc - all have been re-furb's except the two original pistol kits I built back in the late 70's/early 80's.... All are fine to shoot even out past 50 yards.

Under $150 is not too bad at all for a serviceable "mostly all there" CVA Kentucky pistol. If you find you need parts or have questions I'd be glad to lend a hand if I'm able.
Have fun!

Cheers!

Thanks Hawkthrower. I found the ramrod ends and had a 5/16" dowel on hand so I am good there. I was working on it last night and found out I am missing one of the screws for the muzzle cap. Sigh...

But I am giving some thought to just cutting off the end of the stock where the cap goes and rounding it off. I have seen that done before and liked the way it looks. Maybe. Then i could dovetail the bottom of the barrel and add a tenon and pin the barrel. That looks more secure than the nose cap anyway. So I'm still thinking.

i built 3 of their kits when they made their own american made barrels with a 1/60 twist for 50 cal. those gun today can drive tacks at any range. 150 yard antelope one shot kills were the norm with their guns. i used a linen patch, a .495 round ball and 100 grains of powder. they also had real maple stocks with those kits. sold two of them to a close friend and gave one to the minister off our church.

the screws are available - https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p572/Kentucky_Pistol_Nose_Cap_Screw.html

These guys have a lot of CVA parts if you need something.
If you have thoughts of needing any original CVA parts this is where I'd look first - and second.... Smile
I got an order from them about 4-5 weeks ago. My bud just ordered parts for a gun he is working on from them so yep I have them on my radar.

I went to home depot and they had metric screws that fit but I had to reshape the head because they were too large to fit in the recess in the nose cap. Of course they are Phillips head screws but I knocked off the plating and will brown them so they won't stick out too much. Plus they are under the ramrod and as long as they work I don't give a flip.

I have all the metal parts mounted so now  can start rasping the stock to fit the parts. There is going to be a lot of wood removal but I am having fun.

OK its done. This is my last gun build for a long while.

001_410.jpg

003_410.jpg

004_410.jpg

That looks perfect! The color and finish bring out the wood so well.

Have had a .50cal CVA (Dikar) Spanish barrel mountain pistol for many years.....as said, 35-40 gr. 3F Goex .490 prb and its as accurate as I can shoot.....50 gr. 3F and I can knock over the 16'' steel rams at our ranges 35 yard  pit one after the other......its a great companion to my 50 cal.front stuffers.
                      you will enjoy it.
                                                    WC

Latest posts

Back