CVA Mountain Pistol barrel upgrade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Well, now that my dad and I bought a new stock and barrel for my brothers CVA Hawken, I was left with his old .50cal 1:58 twist 28" barrel to play with! It mounts perfectly to the mountain pistol, only super long.

I got plans to cut that baby down to around 16" and crown the new section of the barrel and see how she does. It should be a fun "Make my day, punk" black powder pistol when its done!

I'll have my hands full cutting new dovetails but hey, it'll be fun in the end.

No, I do it the old fashion way with hack saw and diamond bit file to square it up. I did a rifle years ago that was pitted badly the first 8" and that SOB actually did excellent at 200 yards for as crude a gun it was.

That pistol kit I made was .50 caliber. It shoots a .490 PRB with 30 grs. of 3F and it doesn't kick. I think it has a much tighter twist though .. about 1:20.  I can't remember now exactly but it's a faster twist.

FrontierGander said:
No, I do it the old fashion way with hack saw and diamond bit file to square it up. I did a rifle years ago that was pitted badly the first 8" and that SOB actually did excellent at 200 yards for as crude a gun it was.
Well if you are ever in the need I have three lathes and a milling machine.

Back