Cva Paramount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all have had a similar experience. While shooting a cow elk with my 50 Accura off a mono stick I pulled the ML back slightly which pulled the ram rod out so the palm saver was out just a bit. The result was a destroyed ram rod flying down range...on the bright side the elk went down and it took me 30 minutes to find the ram rod in the snow. Needless to say now I don't keep the ram rod in the gun ever. :(

Soooooo, update to this old post. I FINALLY got around to sizing up some bullets to get this thing sighted in. I ran an ELR down the barrel first. It went down pretty consistent until around the last 4 or 5 inches and then started to get "snug". Next I started sizing some fury star tips. I put the first one in the barrel and it went down most of the way without too much struggle, but then, same thing, five inches from seating, it got tight. Really tight. So tight that i forced it and couldn't get it seated. I had to use a hammer and rod to hammer it out the rest of the way. I sized one down a little more and it was extremely easy to push down until that same depth then got tough. But I was able to get it pushed through. Needless to say, it isn't looking too promising. Gonna shoot it this weekend at some point to see if I am going to have a useable LR muzzeloader or another $1200 POS.

Before giving up on it you may want to Lap the 1st 5 inches of the barrel. I’ve used “White” Scotchbrite soaked in Kroil / WD 40 wrapped around a .45 Cal Brush. This is a Slow Tedious Process. I would also recommend a Quality Bore Guide to keep proper alignment. Your Forearm will look like Popeye’s when you are complete 😉

I tape my ramrod in place when hunting with it on the barrel. Fold over the last 1/2" so it is easy to remove.

I have an Accura V2 .45 that had the same issue. I wasted a pound of powder and a bunch of bullets trying to get good groups. I finally sent it back to CVA. They didn't tell me what they did, but they fixed the issue. I assume they put a new barrel on it.

Good idea about taping the ram rod mnoland30, I’ll keep that in mind. When the I blew the rod out it pulled off the rod slide that’s clipped to the barrel (not very well I might add). It unfortunately will not stay on the barrel now. In lieu of that I just put the rod in my back pack sticking up where it’s easy to grab If I need it.

First thing that comes off my muzzleloader is that rod ,most of them I've taken the hangers off of I have no use for either one my rod is in my pocket or in a pack sometimes it's that cheap 3-piece sometimes it's that high dollar three piece. I'm so untraditional!! I don't want anything connected to my barrel it's more of a background harmonics issue from years of bench and long distance target shooting. But they do look cool on a muzzleloader I have to admit.

There are snug and loose spots. Not sure if it gets loose after you cut grooves in bullet or if the barrel is cut that way. I will leave that to experts which I am not. But I can make my gun shoot as good as a centerfire. Now rest assured I am not a 300, 400 or 600 yard shooter. 0-200 yards it will shoot for me. I also believe that if you think going to Walmart and getting bullets and pellet powder, dropping them in the gun and expect a perfect group than you are fooled before you start. I burned 100+ bullets before I found out that max charge is not accurate. It will shoot a 4 in group at a higher velocity but at 4 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220630_214454.jpg
    20220630_214454.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I tape my ramrod in place when hunting with it on the barrel. Fold over the last 1/2" so it is easy to remove.

I have an Accura V2 .45 that had the same issue. I wasted a pound of powder and a bunch of bullets trying to get good groups. I finally sent it back to CVA. They didn't tell me what they did, but they fixed the issue. I assume they put a new barrel on it.
I already sent one back because of an inconsistent bore. Same thing. Multiple projectiles and powder wasted. It shot ok out to about 250, then started doing weird **** after 300. The report i got back told me they test fired it and said it failed, so they sent me a new gun. I have heard MULTIPLE cases where people have had the same issues from tight bores to loose bores. I'm gonna find out this weekend. It's on me for waiting so long since i got it back from them in march, but life flew by and here i am one month away from the season. lol

There are snug and loose spots. Not sure if it gets loose after you cut grooves in bullet or if the barrel is cut that way. I will leave that to experts which I am not. But I can make my gun shoot as good as a centerfire. Now rest assured I am not a 300, 400 or 600 yard shooter. 0-200 yards it will shoot for me. I also believe that if you think going to Walmart and getting bullets and pellet powder, dropping them in the gun and expect a perfect group than you are fooled before you start. I burned 100+ bullets before I found out that max charge is not accurate. It will shoot a 4 in group at a higher velocity but at 4 inch.
My paramount that i sent back had the same thing. a tight spot part way down the barrel than really loose at seating depth. It would shoot a decent group at 100-150, then about a 3" group out to 250. then at 300 and beyond it was all over the place.

Soooooo, update to this old post. I FINALLY got around to sizing up some bullets to get this thing sighted in. I ran an ELR down the barrel first. It went down pretty consistent until around the last 4 or 5 inches and then started to get "snug". Next I started sizing some fury star tips. I put the first one in the barrel and it went down most of the way without too much struggle, but then, same thing, five inches from seating, it got tight. Really tight. So tight that i forced it and couldn't get it seated. I had to use a hammer and rod to hammer it out the rest of the way. I sized one down a little more and it was extremely easy to push down until that same depth then got tough. But I was able to get it pushed through. Needless to say, it isn't looking too promising. Gonna shoot it this weekend at some point to see if I am going to have a useable LR muzzeloader or another $1200 POS.
Unfortunately you most likely are going to end up with a $1200 POS. I have a 2019 Paramount that has a fairly consistent .453 overbore barrel. Consistently unacceptable. I've wasted many hours of my time and stupid amounts of $$ on bullets and sabots trying to get this thing to shoot as it should to no avail. I recently learned of a conversion done on the Paramount by Woodman Arms so I'm going to contact them and see what that's all about. I'm just glad that I only gave $700 for this turd.

Unfortunately you most likely are going to end up with a $1200 POS. I have a 2019 Paramount that has a fairly consistent .453 overbore barrel. Consistently unacceptable. I've wasted many hours of my time and stupid amounts of $$ on bullets and sabots trying to get this thing to shoot as it should to no avail. I recently learned of a conversion done on the Paramount by Woodman Arms so I'm going to contact them and see what that's all about. I'm just glad that I only gave $700 for this turd.
Did you contact them about it? I Sent mine back and they sent me a new gun. This one had me fooled. When i was sizing bullets it was extremely tight at the bottom, but once fouled, it loads nice. I am shooting a 1.5" group out at 300. I tested it to 400 on a day when it was a little windy, and i was surprised it moved the POI almost 10" to the right.

Did you contact them about it? I Sent mine back and they sent me a new gun. This one had me fooled. When i was sizing bullets it was extremely tight at the bottom, but once fouled, it loads nice. I am shooting a 1.5" group out at 300. I tested it to 400 on a day when it was a little windy, and i was surprised it moved the POI almost 10" to the right.
No I have not and the reason is my bore is a uniform .453 and I have no desire for one such as you describe. In fact the scenario you describe seems to be the norm...I.E. bores that are inconsistent, loose and tight in places. That is a scenario I have zero use for.

Latest posts

Back