CVA pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th Corps

Reaction score
Cast a .45 Colt bullet from pure lead to try out with this pistol. 250 grain.
013.jpg
The bullet dropped from a Lee mold, at about .452 inches.
Started out with a 30 grain load of 3F Goex.
Accuracy was not there.
So I increased the powder load to 40 grains and accuracy improved.
012.jpg
Nothing to write home about. Off hand, about 15 yards. I was able to hit the knock down target on the right with the next shot.
Had fun, that's all I really care about.
Oh and watching smoke roll.
Nice.
015.jpg

I have that same CVA Mountain Pistol, 50 caliber.
I've only shot it off the bench but it's very accurate with the Hornady PA conicals and 45 gains volume of 3f Swiss.
With a good rest, I would take a shot at a deer, 20 yards or less.

I have that same CVA Mountain Pistol, 50 caliber.
I've only shot it off the bench but it's very accurate with the Hornady PA conicals and 45 gains volume of 3f Swiss.
With a good rest, I would take a shot at a deer, 20 yards or less.

Deermanok
Was your pistol a kit gun? I inherited this from my Dad along with a number of other low cost pistols I know were offered at stores like Kmart back in the 1970's for less than $30.
I lost the ramrod and just cut off a dowel rod to place in the channel. I use a range rod to load this. The pin that holds the barrel is a loose fit, and I wrapped some foil around the shank to tightened it up. That seemed to work today, I took about 20 shots with it and the wedge did not move out.

Deermanok
Was your pistol a kit gun? I inherited this from my Dad along with a number of other low cost pistols I know were offered at stores like Kmart back in the 1970's for less than $30.
I lost the ramrod and just cut off a dowel rod to place in the channel. I use a range rod to load this. The pin that holds the barrel is a loose fit, and I wrapped some foil around the shank to tightened it up. That seemed to work today, I took about 20 shots with it and the wedge did not move out.
I found mine in a pawn shop, couple years ago. It probably was a kit gun because the barrel was never blued and the ramrod retaining spring was missing.
You could put the wedge key in a vise and gently bend it a bit with a hammer, if you want.
Deercreek Products still has some parts available for the CVA Mountain Pistol.
I haven't shot mine in a while now. Gotta fix that, Lol

Latest posts

Back