CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocchipper

Reaction score
Has anyone scoped out one of these yet??_,http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_electra.htm
Seems like another CVA scam to me,another new and improved idea, When will enough be enough ?

what personal experience have you had with cva ? i like my new buckhorn 209 . shoots great and was afordable , whats rong with that ? i plan to buy a knight when i save up , but buying my cva will allow me to hunt deer this year instead of not hunting deer.

I just bought a CVA wolf and love the way it handles except for a slightly heavy trigger pull, so decided to give to my grown son as an attempt to break him into Mzloading and then purchased a TC triumph ? what a smooth smokepole it is, can't wait to hit the field with it !

flaguy

That is how I got into the ML world. I had a blast w/ my Wolf, inexpensive, fast in the brush/stalk arena. Only limitation was shooting at 100 yards. I could push it out there but really had to play to get a load. I ended going w/ 83 grains T7 shooting a (sh-h-h don't tell anyone) 245 grain platinum Powerbelt. If I pushed any harder I was all over the target. Stories here are similar good hit, no blood or exit hole and found dead in 50 yards after an ugly tracking session in the briars. I still use it for drives, and certain thick cover crawling i do. Got a TC Pro for every other type ML and still playing. I replaced Brech plug in the Wolf every year was very meticulous about cleaning that gun. It will start to rust in a minute. Not everyone can step into a high quality gun. Do not be put off b y comments about your gun, listen and learn to what is being said. But the biggest thing is experiment using these ideas and experience offered.

well said

well said buck i bought a cva optima because i had limited money and i had heard good reports about it. and then as soon as i got it home i started reading all the negative things about them. i was a little discouraged but i actually like the way it shoots and i am having fun with it. would i like to have a t/c or savage smokeless, you bet i would but i can wait

Yep, there are all kinds of myths, rumors and lies about CVA guns. Yep, lots of folks claim they blow up because one of the muzzleloader gurus says so. Never mind that no one has ever shown a picture of a post 1999 CVA that was blown up with a recommended load.

My two cheap old CVA guns have been glass bedded and the barrels floated. One of them shoots better than my right costly .50 caliber Encore.

I actually got to handle a electra a while back and a gun shop. And it was explained and demonstrated how the sparker worked. It took a while to charge for the first time, but after it was touched off, by the time you would have reloaded it would be ready to shoot again.

It was kind of an strange rifle to handle but one that a person could have got used to. I really have not heard a lot about it accuracy wise. I think a lot of people do not trust the spark or it is not legal in their state, so they stay away from it. Besides, it is expensive most places and other rifles for the same money can be had. The other thing that concerns me is.. it takes a battery to shoot. So while if you remember a battery, you would be fine out in the woods. Just as if you remembered 209 primers or caps. Also batteries and bitter cold weather like I normally hunt in, could be a bad thing.

I own a couple CVA rifles. One of them is a inline. It is a CVA Staghorn Magnum. Out to 100 yards that rifle will shoot with the best of them. I never tried it further and have no need to. It seems to like 90 grains of powder and about anything you want to shove down it. I paid $89.00 for it new. The stock to barrel fit could be better, but it is a very hardy rifle, the simplistic design of the action makes it almost fool proof, which is very important to me..

As for the blowing up of barrels, that horse has been beat to death on most forums and I am not even going to comment on that aspect of CVA. CVA is a good rifle for those that want to get into the sport and not spend a ton of money. They normally shoot well. Although a friend of mine had a Optima he brought to my house, and we could not make that thing shoot well. And we tried a lot of combinations. He finally sent it back to CVA and I really do not know what happened to it after that as he never returned to the house with it.

I recently bought a CVA Optima Elite .50 cal. It is blued with the black fiber stock. The quality seems good. Took it to the range this past weekend and it shot great. Nice trigger pull. Has a little blowby around the primer. The first load I made up shot great. 90gr Shockey's, 200 T/C SW, and 777 Primers. 1 1/4" 3 shot group at 100yds shooting off my pack. I was really impressed. I tried 100gr powder and it didn't like it. Seems that the barrel is pretty tight. I was spit swabbing every shot and the SW's were still a bear to load. I am going to work on some other combinations but for the price the gun is great. Cleaning was easy and no blow back in the breech plug threads. Actually what I bought was the Elite combo. Got it for $399 on sale from D_I_C_K's. Should have a .243 barrel coming in a few weeks. 2 guns for the price of one. Can't beat that.

Back