Crappie "vibe" baits....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I’ve really gotten into the different “Vibe” baits for crappies and, of course, this has taken me down another rabbit hole in searching for blank bait bodies. I the picture the top bait is a Scheels “Big Eye” vibe bait along sode of a couple that I just finished last night. Size and shape-wise they’re close to identical. Both are quarter sized and weight slightly less than 1/8 ounce. Again, I favor the darker purple back over a chartreuse belly however the Scheels bait with the orange slashes showed a good productivity last fall so I’ll do another 4 up and finished them in colors like the Sheels bait.
I found another source for blank bait bodies yesterday that had a body that’s uncanny similar to a #3 Rippin Rap, so I have those on the way now too. I really like 4 Vibe baits: the Scheels number shown, the just mentioned Rapala, the Euro Tackle Z-Viber in 1/16 and the Kendar’s Vibes. They’re all spendy and pike seem to have an affliction for them so making my own helps cut the loss costs down. Plus I enjoy the tinkering. I tend to favor the color schemes that Rapala offers but really all of the baits have some great colors that produce so I’ve ordered up enough blanks in each style to do a mess of the productive colors and a guy has to start somewhere….

Attachments

• 435995013_2068624603512989_3010069362239927392_n.jpg
    435995013_2068624603512989_3010069362239927392_n.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
I’ve really gotten into the different “Vibe” baits for crappies and, of course, this has taken me down another rabbit hole in searching for blank bait bodies. I the picture the top bait is a Scheels “Big Eye” vibe bait along sode of a couple that I just finished last night. Size and shape-wise they’re close to identical. Both are quarter sized and weight slightly less than 1/8 ounce. Again, I favor the darker purple back over a chartreuse belly however the Scheels bait with the orange slashes showed a good productivity last fall so I’ll do another 4 up and finished them in colors like the Sheels bait.
I found another source for blank bait bodies yesterday that had a body that’s uncanny similar to a #3 Rippin Rap, so I have those on the way now too. I really like 4 Vibe baits: the Scheels number shown, the just mentioned Rapala, the Euro Tackle Z-Viber in 1/16 and the Kendar’s Vibes. They’re all spendy and pike seem to have an affliction for them so making my own helps cut the loss costs down. Plus I enjoy the tinkering. I tend to favor the color schemes that Rapala offers but really all of the baits have some great colors that produce so I’ve ordered up enough blanks in each style to do a mess of the productive colors and a guy has to start somewhere….
They sink?

Oh man those fluke bring back memories. I was on the Long island sound for ten years. Had a small boat. If you caught the tide right you could slay the fluke. The best eating fish in the sound
I love Fluke fishing & why I make my own is we lose a lot of the jigs. The reason why is we fish the rock beds for the bigger fish & you get hung up quite a bit & can't get them out so you have to break them off & retie. The price to pay for big fish. Here are some pictures of some big Fluke I have caught over the past few years.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1168.JPG
    IMG_1168.JPG
    656.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    679.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0
I love Fluke fishing & why I make my own is we lose a lot of the jigs. The reason why is we fish the rock beds for the bigger fish & you get hung up quite a bit & can't get them out so you have to break them off & retie. The price to pay for big fish. Here are some pictures of some big Fluke I have caught over the past few years.
Doormats for sure. You are right about loosing tackle to find them. Used to use a lot of rubber bait lures on them, cut bait (squid), and sand eels.

My youngest son could eat fluke three meals a day if we let him.

If they keep the trawlers out of certain areas, the fish get a chance but the damn by-catch of the trawlers was a shame.

Doormats for sure. You are right about loosing tackle to find them. Used to use a lot of rubber bait lures on them, cut bait (squid), and sand eels.

My youngest son could eat fluke three meals a day if we let him.

If they keep the trawlers out of certain areas, the fish get a chance but the damn by-catch of the trawlers was a shame.
It truly is a shame of how many fish get killed in the chain nets on the trawler boats. And we the recreational fisherman suffer by the regulations applied. Again all about the money for commercial marketing.

Look vary nice tom you should try a good ole fashioned red head and white body

Back