Damage Report From the Field

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
A Crossbow VS a .54 PRB VS a .54 Powerbelt 

I got back from my hunting trip this week. There were three of us hunting. One had a crossbow. Two of us had .54 side locks for the Christmas Postal Shoot. You can see the two .54s in action on the Christmas Postal Shoot thread.

We had taken a deer with large tumors and black discolorations that we discovered when we gutted it. (A Knight Wolverine in .50 with sabot was used to bring it down) We determined it was not a good idea to eat it or give it away to be eaten. 

But, we had already hung and stripped the carcass for the hide. After a while, we came up with an alternative use for the spoiled meat. We decided to compare the impact of our weapons. (The Knight jellied everything it touched and went though and through) Remember: this was spoiled meat. We do not waste game.

We all fired from the same distance of approximately 20 yards.

The following pic is of a bolt from a Ten-Point crossbow. I am sorry I do not know further details. I am not a bow guy. I can find out if there is curiosity. The bolt went into the neck and sank in to the fletching. It crashed through some bone. It looked truly vicious. 
deer_b11.jpg

This crossbow bolt delivered devastating damage. The deer had no chance to survive this if hit.

The haunch of the deer was the most significant mass left so the .54 PRB was next. 100 grains of 2F Goex.
deer_512.jpg

Boom. A dead deer is a certainty. Note the patch that attached itself to the carcass.

Finally, the .54 calibre 405 grain Powerbelt. 90 Grains H 777 3F.
deer_513.jpg

The Powerbelt dang near blew the entire butt off. It was held up with two tendons. 

All of these hits on a spoiled carcass would have resulted in a very dead deer. But, you can see the differences in the damage that was dealt and can draw your own conclusions. The results of this informal field test? The difference may come down to preference. Do you want more DEAD for your hunt? Or, do you want more meat left AFTER it is DEAD? Any would take down the game if the shot was well placed. Which do you prefer?

Latest posts

Back