dave`s ml10-2 vs deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
:D well thanks to all on here for pointers and advice, and god bless the henry ball for caring!!!!!!!!!!!
now the report opening day passes on a small doe(TINY 40-60LBS) 2ND DAY! NICE 170+ 8 point decides to walk across a bench broadside eating acorns like pac-man i fired at a distance of 45 yards at the right shoulder crease at the top to get lungs and possibly spine the deer at the shot evaporated and died in its tracks falling off the bench down the hill. AUtopsy during gutting has shown the bullet passed thru rt shoulder and exited in the crease behind opposite shoulder getting both lungs and cutting the trachea in halfboth lungs were jello as was the heart was mush tho it was not hit, deer never had a bloody nose :shock: 3rd day doe is spooked coming straight at me uphill full tilt 8) i had her face in the scope waiting for her to turn and at 11 feet i put the reticle on the cowlick in the center of her chest and fired the bullet hit just above the cowlick and some how got both lungs across the chest exiting below the spine and taking 4 ribs with it behind the left shoulder deer acted as if it was clotheslined backwards 8 feet and flipped backwards2 and1/2 times facing the way it came :shock: landing very still and very dead i am not sure how to measure minus recovery yards :eek: both were taken with nice cheap 300grain non-mag XTP and a short MMP 44.0 5744 and a win 209 a vanilla load but it shoots into a 1 inch 5 shot group again thank you all i am going out agin in two days to runn up the score!!!!!!! woo hooo 2-0 savage leads!!!!!!!! thanks again dave!!!!!!

Excited Newbie

I take it that you like your Savage? Correct me if I am wrong! LOL!! The load you mentioned will put a lot of venison on the table. I am glad you have experienced the Savage rush! It will now course through your veins like a crack junkie!It will consume your every waking moment until it has you completely in its grasp, then there is absolutley no hope for recovery. (like you want to be savedLOL!)I hope it puts many more down for you!

Your load is what I consider to be a classic deer load in the savage. Very reliable and effective. It has killed tons of game. No apologies needed.

:twisted: LOL i kiss mine and tell it i love it :shock: i am a reloader-tinkerer so i am curious about the triple shock barnes for the 460 s&w275 grain and i wanna try 300gr barnes original spitzer and a 325 gaschecked lead hollowpoint and and oh crap i am bitten :twisted: is there ever an end? :shock:

Congratulations. How about a picture of that 170+ 8 pointer?? That must be a hoss!!

well i was totally pleased by the 300xtp on the buck ,the doe was another story! rt shoulder blown up! lost at least 1/3 to 1/2 of loins as bullet raked the spine and popped off 4 or 5 ribs and the xtp threw off lots of meat robbing shrapnel coming to a stop aft of the left hip weighing 174 grains i will post pics of bullet soon jacket was totally turned inside out! i am considering going to PR Bullets LBT 335grain 45cal cecil claims a brinnel hardness of 20-23 i want a nice pass thru at any angle and not have to pass on all but broadside shots any ideas??????????????????????????

300 grain XTP MAG.

Very tough bullet, very accurate in my HB and my SS/camo 10ML.

At $8 a box of fifty, it's a good deal. ~gbb

i am considering going to PR Bullets LBT 335grain 45cal cecil claims a brinnel hardness of 20-23 i want a nice pass thru at any angle and not have to pass on all but broadside shots any ideas??????????????????????????

Well to be perfectly honest, when using a .45cal bullet to START with, expansion really ISN'T necessary, expecially with a flat-nosed keith-shaped bullet. That's what a high percentage of handgun hunters use, just a heavy for caliber hard-cast, semiwadcutter, keith-style, flat point bullet. Harvester offers 330gr and 400gr Hard-cast .451cal bullets that I've always thought looked like good ones. Midsouth sells them:

Harvester

Harvester Bullets at Midsouth

ANOTHER option would be a Sierra #8830 300gr .4515 bullet. This bullet, as proclaimed by Sierra, is the toughest bullet they make.

Latest posts

Back