Deep Curl load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdog

Reaction score
I just bought a CVA Accura MR & my dad gave me several hundred 300 grain deep curl bullets in .452 I have heard these should be a good shooting bullet just wondering what recommendations anyone might have for load work up? Powder, Sabots ect.
Thanks for any help

The deep curl has a great reputation for performance on game. I just ordered a few hundred this week as my current supply is very low.

Here's my load:

70 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209, Winchester W209 primer, Harvester EZ Load Black Sabot (non-crush rib)

I don't know how the typical CVA bore compares to my TC, but lots of CVA shooters here who can chime in on where you may want to start for sabots.

I got a bunch of help from the members of this forum getting the muzzleloader to shoot.

The best advice I've gotten so far is to avoid muzzleloader specific primers with Blackhorn 209, keep the flash channel of your breech plug cleaned out with a drill bit (hard carbon fouling builds up), seat the bullet on the powder with consistent pressure, and enjoy the process!

The deep curl has a great reputation for performance on game. I just ordered a few hundred this week as my current supply is very low.

Here's my load:

70 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209, Winchester W209 primer, Harvester EZ Load Black Sabot (non-crush rib)

I don't know how the typical CVA bore compares to my TC, but lots of CVA shooters here who can chime in on where you may want to start for sabots.

I got a bunch of help from the members of this forum getting the muzzleloader to shoot.

The best advice I've gotten so far is to avoid muzzleloader specific primers with Blackhorn 209, keep the flash channel of your breech plug cleaned out with a drill bit (hard carbon fouling builds up), seat the bullet on the powder with consistent pressure, and enjoy the process!

The Harvester black sabots you are using are they the short ones or the long ones? I'm trying to find a bullet and sabot combination to take the place of the Lightfield Alpha Gold 300 I had been using.

The Harvester black sabots you are using are they the short ones or the long ones? I'm trying to find a bullet and sabot combination to take the place of the Lightfield Alpha Gold 300 I had been using.

They are the H5045SB.

I also like the Harvester H5045SB sabots, I buy them buy the case from graf and sons, in stock, flat rate 9.95 shipping:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5481
I use the above sabots for all smooth sided Cast Boolitz or an occasional store bought condom wrapped thing I shoot. I have 3 diffrent molds, self made 265 gr, BRP 5 cavity 288 gr LFN and a 2 caviyt LBT 320 gr LFN. I find the harvester sabots a far more cinsistant in loading pressure than MMP or any other.

Ken

My load for that rifle is 84 weighed gr BH209, a Harvester Crushrib sabot holding a .452 300 gr Deep curl fired off by a cci 209m primer. I used to shoot the same bullet sabot combo with 77 weighed gr of BH and a Win 209 primer. The CVA takes a crushrib sabot, the smooth is too tight. This is what I hunt with.

Make sure you get or have the Blackhorn Breech plug when shooting that powder.

Perhaps my favorite medium range bullet is the 300gr deep curl and the xtp. Both .452 and measure .4526 and shoot full bore with a wad in my Accura .45.
In the .50 I like the .44 calibers with harvester crush ribs. Here I went to the 265gr FTX or the 300gr White Lightning in the .44/50 crush rib. 70gr weighed 100gr measured BH 209 win blue box shotgun 209 primers. Out to 200yds easy either .45 or .50. Chart is .50 300gr xtp same as deep curl.

Attachments

• 83D2D82A-AF56-4484-806A-F0D268BA50F7.png
    83D2D82A-AF56-4484-806A-F0D268BA50F7.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 20
I would go with these Harvester 50 Cal Short Sabot for .451-.452 Cal 300 grain or less bullet. SKU H5045SB. Or the MMP 3 petal sabot. I shoot mine over 100 grains of BH209. Get the BH209 breech plug if you do not already have one.

Thanks to everyone for the replies It has given me several good starting points. I finally got primers Federal 209a's and several different sabots on the way just need to find some Blackhorn & I also have the correct breech plug so when the snow melts I will be ready to work up a good load!

Perhaps my favorite medium range bullet is the 300gr deep curl and the xtp. Both .452 and measure .4526 and shoot full bore with a wad in my Accura .45.
In the .50 I like the .44 calibers with harvester crush ribs. Here I went to the 265gr FTX or the 300gr White Lightning in the .44/50 crush rib. 70gr weighed 100gr measured BH 209 win blue box shotgun 209 primers. Out to 200yds easy either .45 or .50. Chart is .50 300gr xtp same as deep curl.
Whats your load and wad type in your Accura 45? Ill be shooting some of these soon in mine?

Latest posts

Back