Deer scents and lures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I always had good luck using James Valley products. Scrape gel and full rut doe scent. Nobody around me carries it, so I recently bought some Tinks 69. Seems like the Tinks just doesn't smell right, like it's watered down or something? Anybody have their own favorite?

Any area in Minnesota with a CWD zone has a ban on scents, mineral licks and urine products.

I think its a confidence thing if one feels they work. I have never used any but they sure fly off store shelves. Bow hunters toy with this stuff the most around here.

Years ago, I started squirting estrus lure on the bottom and sides of my boots, walking in to my favorite sittin' log or sometimes a tree stand. If I answer the call of nature, those get a s quirt, also. Bucks have followed my "trails" on many occasions. Downside is my dogs have a tendency to pee on my boots.

Has anyone used Hunters Kloak/Odin's Innovations Time Release Scent Beads?
One of my buddies brought some, and I'm skeptical about them.
I looked them up, and they sound good, in theory. Biodegradable, 30 day time release, synthetic. What's not to like...but do they work?
This year, the hunting season in the Adirondacks has been very wonky. I don't know if the excessively rainy summer & fall, coupled with the miserly apple crop this year, I wonder if the deer packed up and moved to FL for the winter...

Has anyone used Hunters Kloak/Odin's Innovations Time Release Scent Beads?
One of my buddies brought some, and I'm skeptical about them.
I looked them up, and they sound good, in theory. Biodegradable, 30 day time release, synthetic. What's not to like...but do they work?
This year, the hunting season in the Adirondacks has been very wonky. I don't know if the excessively rainy summer & fall, coupled with the miserly apple crop this year, I wonder if the deer packed up and moved to FL for the winter...
Ive had better luck using my own urine than synthetics. Piss on some scrapes and the deer dont seem to react any differently than they do to another buck marking it. A broken branch dangling over head really gets their attention. If i cant use real deer urine on my boots or on a drag then i dont use anything except a scent killer or cover scent.

I have had deer follow me to the when I use Tinks on my boots.
I am urinating on or in my own boots.
When I was youNiger we would step in a fresh pie before going to a stan.

Unused is worthless. Stop at the gas station and sneak into the women's restroom per Gene Wensel.

Back