DGW Hawken flint kit assembly

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfd

Reaction score
Having assembled the caplock version, I much prefer flintlocks. So after selling the caplock I bought the flintlock kit version, also a .50 calbier. Relatively easy assembly, no real issues. Some LMF walnut stain and Permalyn clear coats, done deal. Pulled off the breech plug and vent liner, lubed both with anti-seize and reassembled. Instead of using the supplied iron sights I retrofitted a set of Lyman SML57 rear micrometer peep and front #17A globe. Not a bad little rifle ... if only they, like almost all other commercial production trad muzzleloaders, would stop using that damn patent breech plug, what a pita to maintain.

WyVKoUT.jpg

[youtube]BsKv5kl7z9I[/youtube]

it's nothing special, particularly since i didn't spend any time or patience with the finish. it fills the bill for me as a spare flinter that i can use for teaching others or travelling to places where i wouldn't take my good flinters. i think these investarms rifles are a good overall value, and can be darned accurate to boot. :yeah: next up is a custom hawken being built for me over the next 5 months. 8)

DSCN1280.jpg

I have four Lyman Rifles. Lyman is made by Investarms. My Trade Rifle is almost identical to a Hawken except it has no patch box. I have one in .50 caliber (showing) and also in .54 caliber. Both being flintlocks. I was really impressed with their overall accuracy. 90 grains of 2f powder and a patched roundball. They are amazing. The first flintlock deer I took was with my Trade Rifle in .54 caliber at 52 yards in a snow storm. And it went off perfect. So that is why I think your rifle is special. Its a flintlock. That makes it special.

yessir, no argument here! i dabbled in caps but flints are just SO special. :yeah: :yeah:

flintlock firing sequence. each frame lasts 2 seconds, total video time is 28 seconds. total real time is just about one second. look at the lock, then when the smoke clears look at the muzzle, then look what emanates out the barrel. watch it direct on youtube for the larger view.

[youtube]tsZRLd06VY8[/youtube]

very cool! I made a similar video many years back but the quality of my camera was poor at the time. But I did it at dusk, so the flames were spectacular.

that stop sequence vid was mostly head on, so the smoke eats the flames. here's one i did (using a cheap spanish "hawken") as a side view and the flames are humongous (and why eye protection is mandatory!) ...

0Kxk1N3.jpg

that is really neat!! I love to watch the flame and fire. Flintlocks are so much fun to shoot. Once I got into them, all the other rifles styles took kind of second fiddle to me. But I do like my inlines and cap locks too.

there is a very clear and present advantage to aperture sights, particularly if both ends are using 'em. however, they are not considered "iron sights" in most trad ml matches, that require blade 'n' notch sights only.

Back