Dialing in for Deer Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a Gib Lock, it’s Knurled knob allows you to easily grip it and loosen it by Hand

w9ElRQ7.jpg

And here is the Williams FP Hawken WITHOUT Target Knobs, I have the Red Arrow Pointing to the Screw you replace with the Gib Lock, as you can see without the Gib Lock you would need to carry a Little Flat head screwdriver around in order to loosen, and make adjustments (Which is obviously not handy) It’s to bad that Williams doesn’t add a Gib Elevator Lock with their FP Hawken, obviously a money deal, they can sell you the Gib Lock Seperate :D
btkbCLU.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I really
appreciate it.

You won’t go wrong with either sight, I like them both equally well. I personally think the FP Hawken is a “Cleaner” looking Sight. The Peep Bridge is MUCH more Robust, and Durable feeling to me than my Lyman 57s

I am not crazy about the FP Hawken being a 2 piece sight, I loctited mine and it has never Budged. Here you can see 1 of the Screws, There are 2 of them that Connect the Upper and Lower together. I imagine this is due to the Sight being Easier, and probably cheaper to make this way?
NmpUn1h.jpg

Last edited:
Good to know! I like to make things as "idiot proof" (me being the idiot) as possible to make sure I don't accidentally bump or move something that shouldn't.

Good to know! I like to make things as "idiot proof" (me being the idiot) as possible to make sure I don't accidentally bump or move something that shouldn't.

They are pretty fool proof. When set both sights are pretty solid and won't move on their own. The Gib Lock screw is a little too long and will require you to shorten it a bit but it is not hard to do and get right.

good luck!! I wish I had time to get up tgere to hunt again.

This place is a Sad, Hollow Shell of what it use to be Ron. It was AWESOME back when you were here, We had plenty of Whitetail. But it’s NOT like that anymore, and hasn’t been for the last 2 Years. I just went through that same Drive this Evening (where you got your Deer) All the way over that Mountain in Snow, I did not Cut 1 Single Deer Track across that Entire Mountain Range, Just a Blanket of Snow, and LOTS N LOTS of People.

This place is a Sad, Hollow Shell of what it use to be Ron. It was AWESOME back when you were here, We had plenty of Whitetail. But it’s NOT like that anymore, and hasn’t been for the last 2 Years. I just went through that same Drive this Evening (where you got your Deer) All the way over that Mountain in Snow, I did not Cut 1 Single Deer Track across that Entire Mountain Range, Just a Blanket of Snow, and LOTS N LOTS of People.

That is too bad. We are seeing a lot of the same thing. Our elk populations are pretty good but in places but open rifle hunts are bringing them down.

In the south end of the state it is all the above including mismanagement.

This place is Sad, I use to say it’s right on the Heels of Wa State, But it’s there now, and probably Passed it up

Stuff like this sure doesn’t help
rSPHEC9.jpg

jbneU2y.jpg

Count the Deer Legs here, The Land of Plenty. This Country is loaded with Crap like this. People are their own worst enemy.
ol4cvdP.jpg

I'm from Washington and More and More I'm just embarrassed to admit it!! That CRAP is just down right SHAMEFUL. Great ! you got your deer but come on, dispose of the spoils correctly!! Anti Hunters Love Stuff Like This and gives us all a bad name....no matter the plates on your vehicle!!

Utah is doing the same thing. The unit I killed the bull in my avatar on produced state records bulls in Utah and Nevada a couple of years in a row. The elk herd is on the state line pretty much. My friend guides for Mossback and he was with me when I took that bull. He told me before hand that a 340-350 bull was going to be about as big as I could expect, whereas a couple years prior they were taking 370-380 bulls as an average.
Too many damned cow permits out there now, and they opened it to over-the-counter spike permits, which has decimated the bull population.
This year was really bad for deer in the southern end of the state as well. I didn’t get to hunt very hard as my son had stitches in his heel and couldn’t hike, but most of my friends didn’t see hardly any bucks, and the ones they saw were small. Long story short, I shot the smallest buck I’ve taken in 15 years. Never saw one deer with 4 points to a side. The last 4 or 5 years, I’ve passed on no less than 10 in the 18-20” spread area each year. This year the biggest deer I saw was about a 15” 3 point, and we saw a lot of deer. 20-30 a day.
Don’t get me wrong, I want a big set of antlers for the wall and I hold out, looking for a big one, in the early days of the season, but I’m not just a horn hunter and will take a 3 or 4 year old buck and be happy. It’s discouraging when you have to shoot a 1-1/2 year old and only get a large Tupperware bowl full of meat out of the deal.
Glad we got all these “educated” folks making all the rules...and money is the driving factor.

This place is Sad, I use to say it’s right on the Heels of Wa State, But it’s there now, and probably Passed it up

Stuff like this sure doesn’t help
rSPHEC9.jpg

jbneU2y.jpg

Count the Deer Legs here, The Land of Plenty. This Country is loaded with Crap like this. People are their own worst enemy.
ol4cvdP.jpg

The pictures of the elk quarters on the pallets is only about 15 miles from my house. They shot hundreds of elk and they did it again this year.

The pictures of the elk quarters on the pallets is only about 15 miles from my house. They shot hundreds of elk and they did it again this year.

I read where they Did it Twice. And here we are up here in Unit 1 with Near NOTHING Left, Our Elk are on the Edge of Extinction, The Moose were first to go (Unit 1 is 2,500 Square Miles) NOT 1 Single Bull was brought in to the Sport Shop here this year, NOT 1!! The owner is my Best friend up here, i keep in close touch with him. We had an ABUNDANT population of Whitetail Deer up here, But they are on their way out now as well

This place is EVERY Bit as Bad as Washington State now days. To see the ABUNDANT Wildlife i did when i moved here 10-11 Years, and Now on the Edge of Extinction.

The only thing we have any Real abundance of is Wild Turkeys, and it’s VERY common to find a Flock with Several of them Hobbling around, Broken legs Etc. From being “Flock Shot” For being in a Farmers Barn. They are called VERMIN here by MANY. What a SAD Sh&tty place it is here these Days

Yes they did do it again about a month ago. I have pictures of the reefer trailers parked in the desert. This time they also trapped some to be relocated but it is all PR nothing else.

All of the Above, Poorly Managed
Come out to PA ! Gary Alt was our bear mgnt GC warden before he put in a 3an4 point rule years ago! We now have a Ausome buck population here, not unusual to see 2 yr old 6 pointers and not unusual to see 5-6 hundred lb bear! He retired yrs ago but left us a great program can’t say enough about the man! An thanks Gary where ever u r!

Latest posts

Back