Dickeret Rifle Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint Gunsmith

Reaction score
A few pictures of a Dickeret Rifle im building for a customer i will add more pictures as work progresses thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Dickeret rifle.jpg
    Dickeret rifle.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 36
  • rifle #2.jpg
    rifle #2.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220210_164815[2732].jpg
    20220210_164815[2732].jpg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220210_182622[2735].jpg
    20220210_182622[2735].jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 32
Impressive. Is it maple wood for the gunstock?

A few pictures of a Dickeret Rifle im building for a customer i will add more pictures as work progresses thanks for looking.
What are the best books or videos to watch on rifle building? I've built a kit before but looking for even more information and techniques. I cut some lengths of maple and want the wood cut so I can make several rifles from the wood from my property, etc. Looking for a deer rifle, and ideas on period correct rifles.

What are the best books or videos to watch on rifle building? I've built a kit before but looking for even more information and techniques. I cut some lengths of maple and want the wood cut so I can make several rifles from the wood from my property, etc. Looking for a deer rifle, and ideas on period correct rifles.
Maglide some good books on rifle building are ( The art of building the pennsylvania longrifle ) ( Recreating the american longrifle by Buchele Shumway ) And the gunsmith of grenvile county. As far as videos Hershal House has good videos on rifle building and a good website is www.hootalrifleshop.org his name is Alan hes a master gunsmith he will be glad to give advise hes a good guy. Books can help you alot but the best way to learn the trade is to work alongside a gunsmith thats had many years experiance thats what i done years ago. If you have never built a rifle from a blank of wood dont even think about it right now buy you what they call a precarved stock and build a couple rifles from them first.
Precarved stocks have everthing cut out but you will still have to do a great deal of carving and inletting more than you would with a kit this will also help you out alot . If you run into a problem i will also be happy to help i hope this info helps .

Track of the Wolf has some nice books and videos available like the ones listed above.

Thanks!

Walt

I really like the Bill Raby videos, my favorite being the Haines, Lancaster Flintlock Rifle Build. About 35 hours of free video from unboxing the kit to selling it. Google is your friend. They were on utube, but they got all pissy about him showing how to kill people by building a flintlock rifle so he moved them elsewhere. He is still in the process of uploading older vids along with new ones.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing pics of it when done.

Maglide some good books on rifle building are ( The art of building the pennsylvania longrifle ) ( Recreating the american longrifle by Buchele Shumway ) And the gunsmith of grenvile county. As far as videos Hershal House has good videos on rifle building and a good website is www.hootalrifleshop.org his name is Alan hes a master gunsmith he will be glad to give advise hes a good guy. Books can help you alot but the best way to learn the trade is to work alongside a gunsmith thats had many years experiance thats what i done years ago. If you have never built a rifle from a blank of wood dont even think about it right now buy you what they call a precarved stock and build a couple rifles from them first.
Precarved stocks have everthing cut out but you will still have to do a great deal of carving and inletting more than you would with a kit this will also help you out alot . If you run into a problem i will also be happy to help i hope this info helps .
Thanks Flint.

Thanks agin that's awesome. As this maple came off my property I might get some help and pay to get it preserved. I have a Grand Valley Cap N Ballers muzzleloading group near me. A member said there's one guy that can do it from a tree. So I may have local help as well.

Maglide try HOOT AL'S RIFLE SHOP he has some really good tips on building. Another one was fred stutzenberger tips but I have lost track of BLACK POWDER 411 SITE. Someone on American long rifle forum may know how to get to his tips and tricks.
coupe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back