Disc Elite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndeer

Reaction score
Should the Elite be free floated all the way from the tip of the stock to the recoil lug? On my elite, I can't slid a dollar bill under the tip of the stock, but a couple inches back, I can , almost to the recoil lug. What loads work in the 50 cal Elite using BH209 ? thanks

i put some white out. on the recoil it is touching on the right side .. the barrel can be pulled away from the stock almost 3/8 inch.... is your knight a thumb hole stock??? both stock's i' have fore mine touch on the right side :?: :?: it looks like they wood be free floated all the way :?: i' thank i ask about the same :?: about a year ago????? my rolling block will out shot my elite ... how tight should the bolt be that holds the stock and barrel together :?: :?: :?: thanks WORM :shock:

Yeah, the injection molded stocks suck bad!!! I added some bedding compound around the recoil lug and that helped a lot. I also sanded material from the barrel channel to float it more. With these el'cheapo stocks, I leave about 0.100" of clearance around the barrel. With a good quality lay up fiberglass stock or wood stock, I reduce that to .050" clearance.

Mine shoots acceptable groups with Blackhorn 209 and the Hornady FPB bullet. By acceptable I mean under 2 MOA at 200 yards.

AJ, what type and grit sandpaper did you use to sand the stock ?

tndeer said:
AJ, what type and grit sandpaper did you use to sand the stock ?

Just a note of caution... When I first bought a Disc Elite(2003-2004?) I sanded the forend of the Disc Elite to completely free-float it...MISTAKE! Unless BEDDED...the barrel will just fall down in the stock... I wouldn't TOUCH it personally... Only one screw supporting the receiver...it just won't do it... Good thing Knight had Disc Elite replacement stocks THEN.. Do they now?

Thanks for the advice. What was your best shooting load for the elite? I'm wanting to shoot the BH209 which you may not have tried, but what bullets are good? I've got a ton of Barnes 250 and 290 TMZ's but the other day they just didn't seem to shoot that well with 110 gr of BH209. The Parker 275 shot pretty good.I need to get the trigger pull decreased, I believe that will help me. I ordered some SB Harvester sabots and some 250 SW, plus the 260 Scorpion PT Gold bullets. Think they will be OK?

tndeer said:
Thanks for the advice. What was your best shooting load for the elite? I'm wanting to shoot the BH209 which you may not have tried, but what bullets are good? I've got a ton of Barnes 250 and 290 TMZ's but the other day they just didn't seem to shoot that well with 110 gr of BH209. The Parker 275 shot pretty good.I need to get the trigger pull decreased, I believe that will help me. I ordered some SB Harvester sabots and some 250 SW, plus the 260 Scorpion PT Gold bullets. Think they will be OK?

The best load in my .50 DISC Elite has been 100gr BH209 and 200gr SWs. I've tried 250 and 300gr SSTs with several different sabots and I still can't beat the 200gr SWs.

Anybody like to share their best load out of a .50 DISC Elite with 250 or 300gr SW/SSTs?

Chuck,

Did you bed the new stock? If so how much of the rifle did you bed?
I got a Disc Elite in May and the stock was pretty bad on it. The seller called his contact at Knight and they sent me a new one free of charge. So I have it still in the box but did some major surgery to the bad stock.

ShawnT

Yes, I did a bedding job on my D.E. I bed around the recoil lug and some of the barreled action. Once its suppored fine, I hog out the barrel channel. I pretty much do this on all of my guns. I have yet to find a gun that shot better before the bedding job. Even guns that come with aluminum bedding blocks and factory pillar bedding.

I typically use 80 grit to remove the majority of the material. Once it is close, I drop down in grits until I get a desired smoothness and add some Tru-Oil on wood or leave it as is on a plastic stock.

Latest posts

Back