Disc Extreme question re model differences

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I received my Disc Extreme (used, excellent condition) in the mail and am trying to get familiar with it. The manual that was included is only helpful to a point since it only discusses the original DISC and not the extreme. Downloaded an updated manual from a link found at the Knight website.

My question is regarding the differences between the various DISC models. Other than the orange discs and the shape of the stock, it seems another difference between the original DISC and the Extreme is the use of an Allen screw bolt release for the DISC versus a Quick Release Bolt screw for the DISC Extreme. Thing is, my Extreme uses the older Allen bolt screw. I'm guessing that my Extreme is one of the earlier models, after they went to the straighter stock comb and red discs but before adopting the Quick Release Bolt. This make sense? Any other differences between old and new Extremes?

Going to install the Lehigh breech tonight. Hopefully no problems.

Re: Disc Extreme question.

SteveH said:
Yesterday I received my Disc Extreme (used, excellent condition) in the mail and am trying to get familiar with it. The manual that was included is only helpful to a point since it only discusses the original DISC and not the extreme. Downloaded an updated manual from a link found at the Knight website.

My question is regarding the diferences between the various DISC models. Other than the orange discs and the shape of the stock, it seems another difference between the original DISC and the Extreme is the use of an Allen screw bolt release for the DISC versus a Quick Release Bolt screw for the DISC Extreme. Thing is, my Extreme uses the older Allen bolt screw. I'm guessing that my Extreme is one of the earlier models, after they went to the straighter stock comb and red discs but before adopting the Quick Release Bolt. This make sense? Any other differences between old and new Extremes?

Going to install the Lehigh breech tonight. Hopefully no problems.

Where to start...

There are some differences in the two models. The most noticeable is the orange vs. red jackets. the stocks is another, one other is the bolt of an O DISC will only lift it will not pull back. Most likely the O DISC bolt is a 'C' tool bolt in that you will need a tool to remove the hammer assembly from the bolt.

The Extreme bolt will lift and pull back about 3/4", it will most likely not need a 'C' tool to take the bolt apart, and the Nose of the bolt is different. Both O DISC and Extreme used a bolt release screw to take the bolt out. Late model Extremes have the QR pin.

Basically those are the differences that come to mind quickly...

Well, my new to me Extreme must be pretty old. It requires the 'C' tool and uses the Allen screw for a bolt release.

Clearly is an Extreme (not an O DISC conversion), says so on the barrel and the stock has the straight comb. Hopefully the Lehigh conversion will go smoothly. I have Federal, Rem STS and CCI 209M primers to determine which one works the best, hoping the CCIs work out since I have a case of them.

Thanks for the info.

SteveH said:
Well, my new to me Extreme must be pretty old. It requires the 'C' tool and uses the Allen screw for a bolt release.

Clearly is an Extreme (not an O DISC conversion), says so on the barrel and the stock has the straight comb. Hopefully the Lehigh conversion will go smoothly. I have Federal, Rem STS and CCI 209M primers to determine which one works the best, hoping the CCIs work out since I have a case of them.

Thanks for the info.

The Lehigh or Knight conversion is set for W209s - they are the longer primers. But you never know until you shoot it. Also you really do not need Magnum primers with the BP conversion.

It probably is one of the early Extremes if it still has a 'c' bolt. But that really works in your favor also as it was possibly held to tighter tolerances back then.

Steve...I got a quick release pin from Knight and installed it in an older DISC I had. It was not really that difficult and works like a charm. I also had a spare bolt from a DISC Extreme and I put it in and it works fine. It is the one sabotloader is referring to that comes back 3/4".

Thanks for all the advice, I got a few more questions.

Tried putting in the Lehigh plug tonight. Sabotloader, I think you may have been right about the older Extremes, the tolerances seem really tight (meaning good) with mine. See the pics:

The bolt looks nice, one of the shiny ones,
Bolt_zps4b40a14c.jpg

The NFPJ fit really well. Small amount of play but feels good.

NiceFit_zpsfc54e771.jpg

The breech plug fit well. I used grease (been using tape with my Omega), can I use tape with this?
NewBPin_zps0810e20c.jpg

Putting the bolt in, the whole thing locked up nice and snug.
ClosedBreech_zps75a8409a.jpg

So here is my main question. How do I get a primer in there? Does not seem to be much room.
OpenBolt_zpsc306c561.jpg

The only clear way I can see is to remove the bolt from the gun and with the Allen screw bolt release, this is a pain. Smyrnagc, I may need to look into installing the quick release if it will fit.

SteveH

Looks good to me... It should work very well for you...

If you go to the quick release, you will need to drill the current hole out to a different size and tap it for the Quick release assembly.

It is an odd tap size - just do not have the information on the tip of the brain right now. I do have it written down though.

Most of my rifle have the release screw, I have never switched them - About the only time I take the bolt out is home when I am cleaning.

The QRP will not just screw into the current hole that the Allen screw is in. It has to be drilled out but it is an easy fix. If I can do it...anyone can. You will need special size drill bits (see below link) and if you don't have then handy I can mail you mine to use. Had to order one out of Japan because I couldn't find it locally. You might have better luck.

Here is the link I used to get an idea about doing the conversion:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=174967.0

I have pics of each step of when I did mine if you would like to see them.

Thanks to both of you. Smyrnagc, I'll look through that link tomorrow (getting late here).

So am I right that the bolt needs to be pulled back (quick release engaged or allen screw loosened) to get a primer in?

SteveH said:
Thanks to both of you. Smyrnagc, I'll look through that link tomorrow (getting late here).

So am I right that the bolt needs to be pulled back (quick release engaged or allen screw loosened) to get a primer in?

No...You just open the bolt, pull it back, and drop the primer into the adapter. Not really difficult unless it is 28 degrees, you have gloves on, and the wind is blowing 20 miles an hour. :lol:

You only take the Allen screw out/open the QRP to pull the bolt out for cleaning.

To load the primer just drop one into the back of that adapter in the end of the bolt. now close the bolt and that seats the primer in the end of the plug.
Fire it and then open the bolt and pull it to the rear this ejects the spent primer. Tilt the rifle to the side and the spent primer will fall out.
Works great for me.
I have one set up to shoot with a nipple for #11 caps, and priming that nipple without a capper is near impossible.
Converted to use 209 primers is much easier and quicker for me.

smyrnagc said:
SteveH said:

No...You just open the bolt, pull it back, and drop the primer into the adapter. Not really difficult unless it is 28 degrees, you have gloves on, and the wind is blowing 20 miles an hour. :lol:

You mean you drop the primer in here?
OpenBoltprimer_zps4b10d7d1.jpg

SteveH said:
smyrnagc said:
SteveH said:

You mean you drop the primer in here?
OpenBoltprimer_zps4b10d7d1.jpg

Yep

Ron thanks for that pic. It now makes perfect sense. I can see now how primer length could be critical to minimize blow back and maximize fit.

GM54-120, thick gloves are a challenge/impossible with my X7 as well. I use wool fingerless gloves with mitten fold-overs for that reason. Should not be any harder with this.

SteveH

I use the same thing, fingerless wool gloves and shooting mitts if it gets colder. Neoprene cold weather fishing gloves work OK if you cut off the trigger finger and tip of the thumb. The Win209 has been the best by a wide margin in all the Knights i converted with a Lehigh plug. They come out VERY clean and ignition has been 100% with BH209.

Its my opinion that a mag primer is not needed in the Lehigh plug and they create more carbon build up in the flash channel. As long as the primer fits and gets a very slight crush they should work well with BH209.

You can always use a SS shim in the primer pocket to get a near perfect fit with any primer made in the USA. Many of the Euro primers are a bit larger OD and might not fit at all.

Back