Does anyone have a sure-fire way to get rid of gophers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with gophers destroying my garden for two years. I thought I had it solved by disking very deep several times but the sob's are back. My dog tries to dig them out but that just destroys more of the garden.

I need a tested method of killing these bastards.

Yes I use poison. My dog digs the hole out and I drop in poison pellets, lightly cover it over and the gopher eats the stuff up.

i agree, your likely talking about pocket gophers. skim the mound away until you see the hole. pour poisoned corn in the hole and cover up again. also hook up a hose over your exhaust on your car. put the free end in the hole and run the engine for a while. ive tried to drown them but that dont work so good. their is also a type of trap that is long and slim that fits in the hole that works good also. they are presistant little bastards. just be more presistant.  also their is a fun device called a rodentator  that will give you a laugh a minute but really is the best of them all for getting rid of them. go to you tube and look at it. it pumps a mixture of propane and oxygen into the tunnel and then you push a button and it is ignited  and they are burned alive as well a blown to bits. works on anything that digs holes and lives in the tunnels. if you use your own cutting torch set up be careful when you set it off, use a long stick with a flame on the end of it.  dont be standing over a tunnel, or you will  be doing a fancy dance.

FrontierGander said:
Yes I use poison. My dog digs the hole out and I drop in poison pellets, lightly cover it over and the gopher eats the stuff up.
Be aware of the large firecracker type gopher poisons with the way to short fuse. 

Your suppose to drop them in the hole (most gophers tunnels are 6-8 inches below the surface), the damn fuse is like 2 inches long and the tube (charge) 5 inches long. The problem with the short fuse is you don't have enough time to light the fuse then try and drop the unit in the hole and cover it to hold the gas in. I hard one blowup in my face before I could get the hole covered. These poison firecrackers do the job, the problem is the short fuses. I got cannon fuse, lengthened the fuse and made the problem go away and not get a face full of that gas (my eyes were sore for a week after that experience). Most feed stores carry this type of poison.

get a bunch of road flares. the big good ones. dig into the mound and find the hole. light the flare, stick the fire end into the hole, cover with dirt. it will smoke them out or kill them. also you can put a water hose in the hole and keep adding dish soap to the water going into the hole. they can by pass the water but they cant by pass the soap suds, they will come out and as they do, shoot them. divert the exhaust from you lawn mower down the hole by some means. that will end them for sure.

vp-us-lc-library-gopher
I have found an easy way to find their tunnels is to use an 1/8 inch welding rod about 2 foot long (saves your back), I put a file handle on mind.  Go to where there's a fresh mound go about a foot away from the mound and start probing with your welding rod, when you go down 6-8 inches and you hit their active tunnel the rod goes down very easily (your in their tunnel). This is where you want to open up the hole very carefully (I use my clam shell post hole digger). It gives you the cleanest hole without having the dirt going into the tunnel. Now that your open I would do as strong eagle recommend and use a road flare and maybe use one of Amdro's "Gopher Gassers" too. The road flare would be the safest way to set off the gasser bomb. I place a 5 gallon bucket over the hole upside down and sit on while the little critters get a dose of gas.  :roll:   :affraid:   :bow:
813576008604.jpg

:p  :x   :D   :bow:​
The colonial way: we have (4) types of communications; telephone, telegraph, internet or tell "oneshot"....  :cheers:​
The Australian way: you have (4) types of communications too; telephone, telegraph, internet or tell Gordon ....   :blah:​
:lol!:​

Back